Bwahaha! my orchid finally popped an ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantida

Reaction score
Well today I came out of my room and glanced over at the tank the orchids were in - to see a white blob on the side of the terrarium. Yes indeed, it was an ooth!

Though most likely fertile, the female still has the male riding around her back and it looks to me like he is still trying to connect. However I heard males of this species will often do this for up to a month after copulating. This female is about 5-6 weeks old, so it may indeed be a dud ooth.

Only time can tell, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only time can tell, but what do you guys think?
I think you need to get that male of her back before she gets hungry ;) She won't allow him to mate whilst she is so thin anyway, so you may as well remove him.......you'll be amazed at how strong he is !

Rob.

What a coincidence, my female finally dropped hers today after 7 weeks..

dscf6577cd1.jpg

Pretty big too :)

dscf6595bw7.jpg

Some more pics

dscf5824yx1.jpg

dscf5827gl5.jpg

dscf5838mg3.jpg

Eating together:)

dscf6014ce7.jpg

And another one

sdfgas2.jpg

Oh gawd, your ooth is huge Pelle! :blink:

Mine's skimpy, since I ran out of flies and Spiderpharm hasn't processed my order. I ordered 2 weeks ago. <_< I didn't have much of a choice, and didn't want to use crickets, so I ended up with a weener ootheca, haha.

Alright Rob, I'll remove him for now. ;) We'll se how it goes.

I think congratulations to both of you! I'm hoping to see orchids all over this forum again. :) They are such awesome mantises.

dscf6599ou9.jpg

dscf6603kv0.jpg
Wow, what number ooth is that and how old is your female?

My male is still riding the female and trying to connect, I hope the ooth she laid is fertile. :unsure:

By the way, that "small ooth" of yours is still bigger than my skimpy one. Them darn flies need to hurry up and get shipped....

My female was 7 weeks and 1 day adult when she layed her first one, and that was yesterday.

And today she layed the smaller one which is the second..

I hope for you, you will get your flys soon:)

Upon closer inspection, the ooth she laid appears to be incomplete. :huh: Hope the remaining eggs are okay, if they are even fertile. The foam also rubs off easily... you can see flakes on my finger.

083.jpg

Latest posts