C. Gemmatus Mating Help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1_collection

Reaction score
Well it is my first time trying to mate a mantis.

I have a male and a female that is mature for about 1 month now and looks like they are ready to mate. The problem is that they won't.

I put the two in a net cage and following the directions at the top of this forum precisely. THe male can see the female and tries to creep closer but because the male bit off part of its two rear legs it can't keep up with the female as she walks away. Sometimes the male creeps up on the side and the female makes eye contact to strike. The female is fed well before all of this.

Does anyone have any tips to show me so I can have them mate and produce a good ooth?

Thanks

you will just have to leave themalone and wait, sometimes the girl will take a couple days before she is ready to accept him being there, Rick likes to put them in a bathroom, (says the shower helps :lol: ) and closes the door so they can get away from each other if needed.

may I suggest making sure they are well fed before mating. ahungry mantis is more concerned about food than a mate. I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE NOT TAKING CARE OF THEM
This really isn't true. Males that are ready to mate would rather mate than eat.

Agent A, How do you say no comment???Rick has been keeping mantis since 2004 i think he knows what he is talking about.

You should just take a second and think about what you’re saying and where did you get the knowledge.
I don't know what "no comment" means. I just didn't know what to say. And nobody has an adult male C. gemmatus for sale still. Mellisa will be an adult soon people!

Agent A, How do you say no comment???Rick has been keeping mantis since 2004 i think he knows what he is talking about.

You should just take a second and think about what you’re saying and where did you get the knowledge.
More like since 1988.

Agent A if you don't know what to say then don't say anything. Saying 'no comment' implies something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having the same problem my males are retarded literally plus my females whirl around and try to eat their faces anytime they're touched by them they're at least a month old now.

Yes males will mate no matter what. I think it is their lot in life to spread their genes.

i feed both thoroughly daily for the past couple days. Not too much but just right.

I used the tutorial to help me. I am not straying away from that.

I am having the same problem my males are retarded literally plus my females whirl around and try to eat their faces anytime they're touched by them they're at least a month old now.
I've found some species are more prone to acting that way for some reason.

Latest posts