Cali Mantis Newbie

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tshark34

Reaction score
Hows everyone doing, so i recently became interested and currently trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before. I've watched quite a few videos online and have good information as far as how to care for them and how to care for them. What sparked my interest was that one morning I was headed out for school and my daughters pointed out that "Mantis" was on our porch. So I took a look and there it was I want to say it was a Giant Green Chinese Mantis, so I picked it up and moved it to a small tree in our yard. My daughters though it was "Mantis" from Kung Fu Panda hahahahah. I've seen the many types of mantis and noticed some require more experience, so I'm definitely looking for a beginners mantis.

on a side note, I'm 26 full time student, father and business owner. I make fishing rods for a living and repair fishing reels i do freshwater and saltwater, I've worked in this industry for the past 8 years. I have 3 beautiful little girls 4 year old twins and a 2 year old. I live in the SoCal area Los Angeles county so yea that's just a little about myself.

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you will be an amazing mantis owner once you are ready to make your first purchase, and your children will love them too! Mantises make amazing first pets for children! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I just started too, I now have six mantids, haha. I really like my giant african mantis, she's getting pretty big and she's a great hunter, also really easy to take care of. They make great pets.

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

Sounds like you will have several helpers with your new pet. :D Regarding species, below is a list I've put together over the past few years of beginners species, and of course the most common places to get them too.

Where to buy

You can buy mantids from the classified section (see the feedback section about the sellers too). Of course there are many great sites to buy mantids and related goods from online such as BugsInCyberspace, MantisPlace, and MantisPets the most common and recommended for mantis themselves.

Beginner mantis species

Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are great and tame easily, and have a very exotic look but are a very hardy species - recommended for beginners too. Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis) are a great option as they are a naturalized species so can be captured in the wild - I can collect over a hundred locally in a few weeks here. The Chinese mantids also grow large at about 4", which means they also are hungry pigs.

One of my favorites has to be Carolina mantids (Stagmomantis carolina) as they are a native species, and extra nymphs from a ooth can be released (again this is another species that can be found wild locally). They seem to have individual attitudes/traits, take to handling and various feeders well, etc. Likely though I have a soft spot for them as I got started in the hobby rescuing my first mantid from a winter freeze while at work. They do require a bit more care, but if you can mange humidity and feeding properly, I doubt you'll have problems with the species as it was my first.

Some great beginner mantid species though are Flower mantis (Creobroter sp.), Giant shield.hooded mantis (Rhombodera sp.), African mantis (Sphodromantis lineola), Budwing mantis (Parasphendale affinis or Parasphendale argrionina), Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis), Double shield mantids (Pnigomantis medioconstricta), Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa), Giant Asian mantis (Hierodula membranacea), and Griffin mantis (Polyspilota griffinii). Although some are not necessary listed as typical beginner species, they are all hardy, and seem to do fine even with beginners.

Have fun searching and getting started.

Welcome!!  Check out the care lists for additional details on the beginners to narrow your choice down.  They really are fantastic great first pets!

Invest in some good 32oz cups with vented lids, you use them a lot!  You would need different size housing for your mantis buddy, as they grow as you want them to have enough space, but not so much they they cannot "catch" their prey.  The number or size of the containers depends on what type mantis you choose.  You can get creative and have the kids help make/decorate too!  (Though there are several sellers that make them and you can buy kits if you like also.)

You have a LOT going on there, the kids will love learning about these guys!  If you get your first at L2, the kids can watch and learn safely before the mantis is big enough for younger kiddos to handle, which will get them all comfortable with it, and lots of opportunities for them to help too!  

I have a 10 and 3 year old.  My oldest helps with getting flies in fridge and moving the terrariums, building them as the mantids grow... (he doesn't like to touch them), my 3 yr terror helps to provide water spray and reminds me whenever something needs to be done for the day (usually a few hours early, but it's the responsilibity he enjoys).

The neighborhood kids help dig for isopods or catch moths too, it's a fun deal.  My 3yr likes to dig rocks (which keeps him happy and busy while the rest of us look for isopods -I frequently return the majority to the yard as I have plenty now, but the kids find it a great fun deal, so we keep doing it)... and we keep the ooths and skins for school projects the kids can use for their science classes!  

Latest posts