Call behaviour?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_h

Reaction score
Hi guys, 

My female desiccata is perched with her wings tips extended about 1cm, just so you can see the edge of the black eyespot marking. She's never shown these even as a threat display, she's super chill. 

Could this be associated with pheromone dispersal calling behaviour? She's 4weeks adult tomorrow. I've been waiting for a sign that she's ready to be introduced to the male. She's very chunky in the abdomen these days too.

Thanks!

Cat :)

Hey this may be a bit late... I don't know why nobody responded to you but that's probably her releasing pheromones like you said. If she was doing that then she is ready to be introduced to a male.

I'm thinking now that she was just stretching her wings or drying them a bit after I sprayed the tank. I put the male with her and no luck at that time. 

She waited until about a week ago before beginning to call properly, and it was pretty clear what she was doing. Even down to secreting liquid which I assume had the pheromones in. When introduced the male yesterday he took an hour or so to hop on, and coupled up right away, theyre still connected now at about 18hrs later :)

Oh wow that is a long time for a female to start calling... 2 months wow. Glad they are mating ok. Hopefully you get some nice oothecas. Congrats!

Giant Deaf Leaf are some of the most long lived as adults as far as I'm aware. Different sources give from 2 to 7 months for an adult male, and 6 to 12 months for an adult female :)

Is it calling behavior when they whirl their wings? One of our chinese mantises does that so much i call her whirlybird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it calling behavior when they whirl their wings? One of our chinese mantises does that so much i call her whirlybird.
Calling behavior is when a female mantis arches her abdomen, and is releasing pheromones. So for example, if the female is upside down on a screen she would be arching the end of her abdomen upward toward the top of the container. It usually doesn't involved wing movements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts