camel spider

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Anyone ever catch one/keep one? My friend just brought one to me from his house and I must say its pretty incredible! Im assuming it will eat just about anything?

there weird looking critters not something id be into but each to there own ,

you macro pics are outstanding btw yeatzee i had a look through them the other day , hats off to u lad

Hi yeatzee!

I actually have a friend here in Calgary who has a few. I've seen them myself and they are pretty incredible critters! I was surprized how fast they were, and how aggressive. When I was over he had a few adults feeding on crickets, and he told me one of the larger ones he had (about 5.5 inches) had eaten a feeder mouse a few weeks back. I'd assume then that they'd eat smaller lizards too, and any inverts they can get thier hands on.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
there weird looking critters not something id be into but each to there own ,

you macro pics are outstanding btw yeatzee i had a look through them the other day , hats off to u lad
Thanks! i think if you saw one in person you'd dig them ;)

Hi yeatzee!

I actually have a friend here in Calgary who has a few. I've seen them myself and they are pretty incredible critters! I was surprized how fast they were, and how aggressive. When I was over he had a few adults feeding on crickets, and he told me one of the larger ones he had (about 5.5 inches) had eaten a feeder mouse a few weeks back. I'd assume then that they'd eat smaller lizards too, and any inverts they can get thier hands on.

Cheers!
Yes they are unbelievable. I gave it two flies and it absolutely destroyed them! Worse than a mantid :eek:

Solfugids are loads of fun and its the time of year to find them...

I hand fed this guy today, took a mealworm from my fingers :) I also have a second smaller one...but this guy is in an empty 16oz deli cup

The dang thing died while I was preparing/taking the SAT's :angry:

No food for one day and it dies...... <_<
That blows! I doubt it had anything to do with food if it didn't eat for one day. What kind of setup did you have him in? My friend had his in seperate critter keepers with about 2 or 3 inches of sand so they could burrow under a piece of wood or a rock. They were almost never out of thier burrow during the day, just to feed (apparently they were always out at night).

Anyways, how common are they in Socal? Do you guys see them running around often? I've never seen one in Calgary, but I see them quite often in the coulees during the late summer in Lethbridge where I go to uni (two hour drive south). It's alot warmer during those summer months, and a lot drier.

Hopefully you can find a couple more and give it another shot!

That blows! I doubt it had anything to do with food if it didn't eat for one day. What kind of setup did you have him in? My friend had his in seperate critter keepers with about 2 or 3 inches of sand so they could burrow under a piece of wood or a rock. They were almost never out of thier burrow during the day, just to feed (apparently they were always out at night).

Anyways, how common are they in Socal? Do you guys see them running around often? I've never seen one in Calgary, but I see them quite often in the coulees during the late summer in Lethbridge where I go to uni (two hour drive south). It's alot warmer during those summer months, and a lot drier.

Hopefully you can find a couple more and give it another shot!
critter keeper with about two inches of dirt with some bark to hide under. This is the first i've ever seen..... i was really looking forward to getting some shots too......

Anyways, how common are they in Socal? Do you guys see them running around often?
My experience is that they are common some years(when I will find 2, 3, or more) and apparently nonexistent others. You will rarely see them running around unless you are road cruising a lot...I most often find them under rocks in sandy soil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts