Cameras

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robo mantis

Reaction score
What kind of cameras do you guys have for taking very close pictures of mantids. (like face shots of nymphs). Because i am getting a camera for a graduation present and i want to know what to get.

Get something with good macro capabilities. I don't know if you're going "consumer" or "prosumer" but I know you can attach macro lens to prosumer ones. I think Jenn uses a Canon S3 with a macro attachment. For cameras like mine, Canon A520, don't expect too much out of it.

I have;nt got a macro lens, but get I suggest a Canon, Nikon are very expensive and really thier capabilities are not all that much better than Canon. Wait as long as you can, as the saying goes; 'every year the technology doubles and the price halves'

Ive got a Canon EOS 350D. :p

If you really wanted to splash out (or your parents :wink: ) then there is a Nikon (dont know which model) but its shooting at 16megapixels and the body (no lens) is selling here at around £6000!!

Also, check eBay, mostly at least £100 cheaper than the camera shops over here. Good luck, and tell us what you get :)

Have an olympus C 740 right now but it's getting replaced with a Nikon D-80 as soon as I save up a grand.

That's a DSLR, right? As long as you have the lens, you can do anything. Unfortunately, lens can be more expensive than cameras...

I have a sony with nice lenses, doesn't matter though, BECAUSE I cannot figure out how to upload the photos here All this computing I do and this has stumped me. Go figure.....

i have the canon 350D aka REBEL XT in america, with the canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro. that's the set up i use for macro shots. just keep in mind proper lighting is CRUCIAL for good macro shots.

Hey seems like alot of people have the Canon 350D, the Us version is called 'Rebel'. This is adequate, it comes down to lenses in the end, im not too sure about macro lens, what does drizzt use?

:!: There is a post where someone has shown how to make a photo booth for thier mantids, it was a cardboard box with an open side, with holes covered in tissue-paper on the sides and top to allow soft light in, then the mantid was put on a suitable bundle of rafia or stick. :)

Hey robo mantis :)

Cameras are something I can talk about! lol

As the market stands you probably want to go with Canon because their bodies give a lot better performance than Nikon bodies. Nikon picture tend to look more "flat" compared to the Canon equivalents. They also have a wider current lens selection which is more important.

Canon has a great variety of macro lenses. You actually should plan to spend more money on your lenses than the body that you buy because the lenses really make the picture.

Also, if you have the money, you may want to invest in one of the professional instead of prosumer bodies (the Rebel line). Especially in the Canon line this adds a lot of extra functions. The most important of these added functions for macro photography is "mirror lockup." It is where the mirror that usually flips up on the SLR while taking the photo, flips up beforehand to minimize vibrations conducted to the sensor.

Also, you need a tripod and flash(es).

If I may reccomend a body: go with the Canon 20D (~800), which is a great camera. Or the 10D that you can pick up used for $500-ish. Don't spring for the 30D because there is no technical advance since the 20D (just a bigger screen and price).

Then go for the 100mm macro lens Canon offers (~$500). Or, to spend less and get used to taking photos get the "50mm compact macro" (~$250). It has half the magnification of the 100mm but can be upgraded later with the "lifesize converter" to get full macro.

If you get really adventurous later on you can get the MP-E 65mm 1-5x which is a specialized macro lens that can fill the photo with a grain of rice on it's 5x magnification!

I got the camera and lens but i need a lens converter :? Now i just have to get my dad to buy it with his paypal.

Latest posts