Can Chinese mantis' overeat?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty bugger

Reaction score
Right here, in front of this computer screen
I've got larva? from when I visited Chuck, and I'm trying to hatch them out before they die, so I have a bunch of flies and have been feeding my mantis' heavily.

I've never seen them as fat as they are, and wonder if maybe I'm overfeeding them, or if they'll just quit eating when it gets to the point of danger, or prior to that point hopefully <_<

They know when to stop. If they are very fat then feed them a little less.

I've never seen a mantis actually die from overeating, but I've seen them so bloated that they hold onto the half-eaten feeder insect they started on and don't finish it until the following day. They are so reluctant to drop it and can't seem to ignore the opportunity to sieze whatever else comes by.

Someone, maybe Rob (?) mentioned a little while back that the issue was not exploding, but the mantis getting so full that if it fell it may tear something in the abdomen.

I too have often wondered... Is he gonna pop? There's no way he can fit another roach in there... His butt is just gonna explode!!!!... Saying of my immature male indo pacific mantis (Magellan). He is a pig!!! He seriously looks like he is going to pop, but I do realize, that he will put down part of his roach and take a walk and go back for more. So he knows when he is getting full at least. But seriously is there any harm in feeding them too much?

I dont worry about mine.

they know when to stop.

They will start leaving me "surprises" (random body parts of crickets etc)

Latest posts