can different mantis species mate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only pure lines, but all it takes is one mistake for you to accidentally lose a mantis outside and who knows what affect it would have on the local population of mantids and other insects. It’s a cool thought, but if you try it, be very careful.

Not only pure lines, but all it takes is one mistake for you to accidentally lose a mantis outside and who knows what affect it would have on the local population of mantids and other insects. It’s a cool thought, but if you try it, be very careful.
We all take that risk. Just keep windows closed with mature males and never take them outside.

The offspring of the two different species will be unable to reproduce and won’t “muddy the water” as second gen is impossible. They will be sterile and have trouble making sperm/eggs because their chromosomes don’t match up well. To a lesser extent because of their chromosome number.  Just like a mule comes from a male donkey and female horse but  it’s unable to reproduce. 

Expect a low hatch number. Weak nymphs and a big mortality rate at the second shed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The offspring of the two different species will be unable to reproduce and won’t “muddy the water” as second gen is impossible. They will be sterile and have trouble making sperm/eggs because their chromosomes don’t match up well. To a lesser extent because of their chromosome number.  Just like a mule comes from a male donkey and female horse but  it’s unable to reproduce. 

Expect a low hatch number. Weak nymphs and a big mortality rate at the second shed. 
Creobroter species matched and reproduced fine.

Match and can breed. The offspring are infertile. I’ve read no study’s over the last 25 years that’s suggest otherwise. Love to see some hybrid creobroter pictures though they are first gen rather than some mythical hybrid species that’s been self sustained for the last decade. Hybrid breeding with hybrid over and over. 

creobroter sp....urbanus, gemmatus, elongata, pictupennis, apicalis, yunnan, nebulosa, all carbon copy’s of each other more or less and could all be mistaken for a hybrid creobroter sp if it’s not one you’ve kept. 

Match and can breed. The offspring are infertile. I’ve read no study’s over the last 25 years that’s suggest otherwise. Love to see some hybrid creobroter pictures though they are first gen rather than some mythical hybrid species that’s been self sustained for the last decade. Hybrid breeding with hybrid over and over. 

creobroter sp....urbanus, gemmatus, elongata, pictupennis, apicalis, yunnan, nebulosa, all carbon copy’s of each other more or less and could all be mistaken for a hybrid creobroter sp if it’s not one you’ve kept. 
That is a fair point but I know of some cross breeding that has had fertile offspring over the past few years. Mostly was on Facebook groups though.

Most of those species haven’t even been documented in the hobby yet, I doubt it would be elongata, apicalis, yunnan, or nebulosa.

Facebook buddy..... says it all. Observational study’s have been the back bone of scientific research since the days of Darwin. All that goes out the window when it comes to Facebook mantis forums. 

always a discussion and never a argument buddy. I love being proved wrong and In lightened. sorry if I came across as a x x

Facebook buddy..... says it all. Observational study’s have been the back bone of scientific research since the days of Darwin. All that goes out the window when it comes to Facebook mantis forums. 

always a discussion and never a argument buddy. I love being proved wrong and In lightened. sorry if I came across as a x x
Yeah, ik, ik Facebook is a mess haha. I never thought of it as an argument, and so do I. ;)

Latest posts