Can i collect flies outside

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro92

Reaction score
This may sound sick but when i pick up dog messes outside there are tons of flies. Can i catch those and feed them to mantids?

You might poison your mantis with those flies... or give your mantis lots of bacteria. I wouldn't do it for the sake of caution and sanitation.

flys on dog shite dont sound to good..i wouldn't use them.i cant believe u would even think about doing it..its disgusting..

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet in the wild they would eat them. I would not worry about it, heck i had a dog who used to eat his own which is kinda gross, but he lived to be 14 so it cant be THAT bad ... lol

Ok thats good well i will try it out. But i always put a bag in this bucket and the put the ###### in there so maybe i could put a net over it and just tap the bucket so they will fly into the net. Thanks for the help and i will let you know how it goes. Should i try it with a non exotic mantid first jic it does kill or poison the mantids.

We have 3 big dogs and they leave a hefty amount of plop all over the place, i've always had dogs and in times of fly shortage i've always resorted to this, i cannot remember any problems that have resulted from it. :D

I have collected flies from my dog's poo ever since I began keeping mantids. In fact, I use them about 80% of the time as my main food item (most of them are houseflies and green blowflies).

No big deal....

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 3 big dogs and they leave a hefty amount of plop all over the place, i've always had dogs and in times of fly shortage i've always resorted to this, i cannot remember any problems that have resulted from it. :D
"But 99% of the time i use shop bought maggots and hatch my own" :huh:

Latest posts