Can I use this icecream box to hatch an ooth?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techuser

Reaction score
img72713gt.jpg

img72721wf.jpg

img72731yq.jpg

And i´m afraid of sewing the ooth

cant i use superglue ?

img72744zs.jpg

The other ooth is twice the size of this one

An icecream tub will be fine. It really doesn't matter what kind of enclosure you hatch ootheca in, as long as there is enough room for the nymphs to hang down when they emerge, and for the nymphs to disperse, without crowding. Also...It may be an idea to not use substrate...I have used substrate in the past, at nymphs have got trapped, and wedged in it, and when taking the nymphs out, its awfully awkward as well.

But yea, looks good :D

Superglue will be fine for the ootheca, altho, try and use as little as possible...maybe just a dab on the the end.

I don't think it's overkill. I use moist moss for ooths too.

Thanks for the tips

Rick you use moss on the entire ground?

i think i´ll remove half

yea looks like it might be hard to find all the mantids if they get amongst the moss, but i guess that doesnt matter much. also, are the holes in the mesh too big? hard to tell without size reference. (it's just you might want to put fruit flies in there)

What species of ootheca is that?

If you are planning to raise the nymphs in there, make sure that the mesh screen can keep fruit flies from escaping.

Thanks for the tipsRick you use moss on the entire ground?

i think i´ll remove half
Yep. I use it for my mantids too. Nymphs don't get lost in it since mantids don't dig into it or anything like that.

Latest posts