Can Mantis Survive with Unfed Flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starving Always

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's been such along time since I've made a new post to the forum. The weather has been scorching up, and my days of catching prey are over. I've decided to go and get some fly pupae from websites. 

So I was wondering if flies can be fed straight up without it being fed.

Say, I added some pupae in the enclosure. They hatch in 2 days. And the mantis eat it. I do this forever. Is it harmful for the mantis that the fly has not been fed? I know it won't be getting nutrients, but the real question is: Can mantis survive with hungry flies?

I hope I didn't confuse anyone. Sorry, many thanks!

Will probably be fine. The mantis would likely be healthier if the prey is fed a good diet as well. I feed bluebottle flies honey.

Having run out of honey, I've been feeding my houseflies commercial maple syrup.  They seem to be ok with the stuff (Aunt Jemima).  I also supplement with commercial housefly powder mix, which is probably a waste of money.  These nasty creatures need H2O like every other living beast.  I sometimes forget that.

thefly.jpg

Latest posts