Can someone identify this for me please !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13ollox

Reaction score
Image1336.jpg

was took by my mate on the window of the showcase cinema in peterborough

UK . it freaked him out . it freaking me out too ! dont look native to britain thats for sure !

Neil

didnt catch it . was my freind and his gf that saw it . i wasnt there . he also says it was the same size as his hand . so is it native to the uk ? ive never seen one !

im pretty sures its native, i saw one a few summers ago and fed it to a c.gemmatus i had at the time.

Its a Bush Cricket, aka Katydid.. They occur worldwide, not 100% sure about UK though.

some katydids are omnivores. i never knew that till i caught one at camp one time. when i put a cricket in to keep him company, it ate it. :shock:

looks like a speckled bush cricket.

anyone caught a great green bush cricket. its uks biggest (and loudest!). quite predatory really, almost as like a mantis. they will take a chunk out of you if your not careful lol

mostly found on the south coast, isle of wight etc. good places to look are sea cliffs in august when they become adults. you can hear the males singing along way off. worth searching for

used to see these a lot back at my parents house, Wiltshire.... tended to be in the grass a lot.

!! tis is like the second time ive ever seen one!! the first one was about 5months ago, it was the first live food I ever gave to my (then) new bugdwing - it ripped of each of those legs one by one... :twisted:

we can always find out for sure by taking a poll?

bush cricket is common name, used to see them all the time but not ever these days..

Southern counties most common really, great little fellas

Latest posts