Can someone identify this mantis from the SE US?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twkling

Reaction score
I ran into this little guy today (in North Carolina). He's about 1.5 inches from the head to the end of the abdomen and around 4 inches from the end of his hind legs to the tip of his antennae. He's brown and very skinny with a short set of wings. His antennae are bent in the middle and his legs are very long with orange, black, and white bands near the joint. A Brunner's mantis is the closest species I can find but he still looks different from the pictures, although he does appear to be young. Any tips on identifying or raising him are much appreciated!

2013-10-04_15-09-38_348.jpg

2013-10-04_15-14-43_890.jpg

2013-10-04_15-37-05_818.jpg

2013-10-04_15-14-54_889.jpg

2013-10-04_15-14-20_335.jpg

I have never seen something like this...however doesn't appear to be from the Order Mantodea ...it looks to be some sort of assasin bug with raptorials or something...if you have fruit flies or small feeder like that, introduce them and see how 'he' reacts....Rick lives in the Carolinas, may be he has seen something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That certainly looks like him, do you have any pictures of young B. borealis?

He also has a proboscis-like mouthpart and (i think) tiny, beady eyes - they're very small so it's hard to tell.

Oops actually above me has it right lol

Didn't get a good look at the head

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks almost like a grass mantis but it's definitely the thread-legged bug. Thanks AndrewNisip, I would've never found that.

Looks almost like a grass mantis but it's definitely the thread-legged bug. Thanks AndrewNisip, I would've never found that.
I just google-d stick-like assassin bug...and it lead me to it. Sometimes if you google the description of what you see then you can find what you're looking for. But start off with a vague description then slowly refine the search with new info you obtain ;) glad I could help!

Cheers,

Andrew

They like to eat small spiders like daddy long legs, and large crane flies. Wonder why? They mimic their prey.

Latest posts