Can these 3 mantids hybridize?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugmankeith

Reaction score
Tenodera sinensis, Tenodera aridifolia, Tenodera angustipennis.

If they can do the hybrids and Ootheca look different? Also how can I tell the 3 apart side by side they look so similar!

T. angustipennis ooths look different than sinensis. You can find pics via Google to see the differences. It's easier than trying to describe them. 😁

Just curious... why do you want to breed 3 species that look so similar and are already difficult to ID? 

T. angustipennis ooths look different than sinensis. You can find pics via Google to see the differences. It's easier than trying to describe them. 😁

Just curious... why do you want to breed 3 species that look so similar and are already difficult to ID? 
I never said I want to breed them, they occur in the wild where I live and I was curious since they are so closely related if cross breeding is possible, and if it is would the hybrid offspring and Ootheca look any different than the parents?

Also I would like a way to ID the adults, not the Ootheca, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said I want to breed them, they occur in the wild where I live and I was curious since they are so closely related if cross breeding is possible, and if it is would the hybrid offspring and Ootheca look any different than the parents?

Ah.. gotcha. I think the sinensis and aridifolia look almost identical, but angustipennis ooths look more like S. carolina. If they can breed that would explain why they can be so hard to ID. 😀

I think the pheromones differ slightly between species, making hybridization unlikely.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts