Can We Use This Tank?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArvadaLanee

Reaction score
After all my reading, I am wondering if we will be able to use the big tank we have. Originally, I thought it would be good because it is tall, and roomy, and holds humidity well, but now I am not sure. My concern is ventilation. The tank is a glass aquarium, I believe 13 gallons. It is almost 18 inches tall, 17 inches long, and over 10 inches wide. The thing is, the screen opening on the top, is only 5"×7". Will we be unable to use this as an enclosure? The plan was to feed in a small critter keeper, so my concern isn't feeding. I just need to know if it would impossible for a mantis to live in there because of the small amount of ventilation. I hope we can use it! I was just starting to think up some creative stuff to make it super cool! (Think: Blacklight glow paradise)

what kind of mantis and how big or small is it? crickets for food fine but fruit flies will escape the tank and the critter keeper

The size would most likely be the main concern. Housing mantids in oversized enclosures means you need to feed much more to ensure they get enough.

We don't have any pets yet. We want to have everything planned out before we bring new babies home. We are thinking about ghosts, Indian flowers, Asian greens, or maybe an african? We are newbies, so trying to keep it kind of easy. We do have one of those pop-up netting enclosures we can use for feedings as well. We plan to buy older pets to start with.

The size would most likely be the main concern. Housing mantids in oversized enclosures means you need to feed much more to ensure they get enough.
Even if we feed in a separate enclosure, like a small critter keeper, netting enclosure, or even a deli cup? I didn't really plan to feed in the enclosure.

Just temporarily remove them to a small deli cup or something to contain them and feed them in that container.

Personally, I only use big tanks for my kids. Most of my mantids live spoiled lifestyles with 10 gallon or bigger homes... But I've never had any issues with feeding them in their homes. Eventually they'll find that prey.

Just temporarily remove them to a small deli cup or something to contain them and feed them in that container.

Personally, I only use big tanks for my kids. Most of my mantids live spoiled lifestyles with 10 gallon or bigger homes... But I've never had any issues with feeding them in their homes. Eventually they'll find that prey.
I was kind of hoping it would be alright. I tend to be of the opinion that bigger is usually better for living things. I was just worried about air flow. How often do you clean your enclosures? Do you ever have issues with mold? I may be asking for it with this enclosure as far as maintenance goes. I think I will have to really diligent with my cleaning.

You could just add in some springtails to control the mold. Also Isopods if you want them to clean up the mantis frass, although they are somewhat opportunistic and might take advantage of a freshly molted mantis.

Honestly though, with that size vent, I don't think you'll be getting mold.

You could just add in some springtails to control the mold. Also Isopods if you want them to clean up the mantis frass, although they are somewhat opportunistic and might take advantage of a freshly molted mantis.

Honestly though, with that size vent, I don't think you'll be getting mold.
Isopods are rolly-pollies, right? Or some people call them pill bugs, I think? This is good info to have. I bet that would work really well for a natural enclosure. :)

Isopods are rolly-pollies, right? Or some people call them pill bugs, I think? This is good info to have. I bet that would work really well for a natural enclosure. :)
Indeed they are. There is a difference between sow bugs and pill bug/rolly-pollies (Isopods) but for all intents and purposes nothing worth noting.

I use them myself, and built a colony for my Isopods, and they do help keep things cleaner. They may munch a bit on the plants, but it should be a minimal amount if at all. Also depending on your mantis it may provide a benefit of a snack feeder insect too, as some mantids like to eat them and others won't. ;)

Latest posts