Can you crossbreed mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Just wondering if you can successfully crossbreed 2 types and create custom genus of mantid?

You can crossbreed the same genus. say sphodromantis lineola and a sphodromantis gastrica. I dont know the outcome of the two or what would happen if you were to breed the same genus. im pretty sure you cant cross the genus such as sphodromantis gastrica and a Hierodula membranacea.

(Im 90% sure)

I think I've started an addiction. Has anyone ever just stopped at 2? You could make some new awesome breeds. Once you get the food colonies started, they're pretty much free, apart from the cost of the new mantids. 

Their was plenty of threads with cross breeding mentioned and let me tell you that it does certainly work but it is frowned upon. This is due to the fact that someone apparently crossbred the 2 pseudocreobotra and sold them as one species leaving no genetically pure psuedocreobotras in the market. One thread had someone who breed 2 different creobroter together and an inbetween looking mantis resulted. Another was a sophodromantis with 3 white dots on each upper arm and a different sophodromantis with a black and orange dot on each arm. The resulting hybrid had 3 black and orange dots on each arm in the arrangement of the white dots. Hope this helps

Their was plenty of threads with cross breeding mentioned and let me tell you that it does certainly work but it is frowned upon. This is due to the fact that someone apparently crossbred the 2 pseudocreobotra and sold them as one species leaving no genetically pure psuedocreobotras in the market. One thread had someone who breed 2 different creobroter together and an inbetween looking mantis resulted. Another was a sophodromantis with 3 white dots on each upper arm and a different sophodromantis with a black and orange dot on each arm. The resulting hybrid had 3 black and orange dots on each arm in the arrangement of the white dots. Hope this helps
Wow, that's messed up that someone wiped out one species by crossbreeding them and lying. 

Wow, that's messed up that someone wiped out one species by crossbreeding them and lying. 
They weren't wiped out, there were plenty of pure ones in the wild it was just ones in the market that were hybrids.

We (humans) have attempting to  create a better species in all animals in our care , it is possible and some times we may improve a breed , mostly we just end up with mongrel half breeds . These '' improvements '' usually are taken care of by natural selection as with most incidents their are infertile (mules) and inferior .  Therefore can we ''yes'' , should we , '' carefully '' the way I see it .............. S

Hmm cross breeding doesn’t usually work out... maybe @Kris Anderson would know the answer?
This is correct.  Cross-breeding usually does not produce viable offspring.  In the few cases that two congeners successfully mate, produce fertile oothecae that bring forth healthy nymphs that can mature properly, there has been no documented evidence that I am aware of that the adults produced from this unnatural union are fertile, i.e. capable of continuing another generation on their own.  Thus, they are not true species or even hybrids but rather an aberration generated by the meddling of humans. Such unions typically do not occur in nature, as many congeners have cohabitated for hundreds of millions of years out in the wild and are not confined to terrariums, lack of mate selection, or manipulated mating by humans. Bear in mind also that if two different organisms can successfully reproduce viable offspring (a second generation that is fertile) then these two organisms are considered the same species.

This is correct.  Cross-breeding usually does not produce viable offspring.  In the few cases that two congeners successfully mate, produce fertile oothecae that bring forth healthy nymphs that can mature properly, there has been no documented evidence that I am aware of that the adults produced from this unnatural union are fertile, i.e. capable of continuing another generation on their own.  Thus, they are not true species or even hybrids but rather an aberration generated by the meddling of humans. Such unions typically do not occur in nature, as many congeners have cohabitated for hundreds of millions of years out in the wild and are not confined to terrariums, lack of mate selection, or manipulated mating by humans. Bear in mind also that if two different organisms can successfully reproduce viable offspring (a second generation that is fertile) then these two organisms are considered the same species.
I think their was one time where fertile hybrids were produced. Before I had joined the forum I did quite a bit of lurking around and went looking for older "are hybrids possible" threads and I noticed that on most of the older ones the whole psuedocreobotra hybrid accident would be mentioned. 

Latest posts