Canabelisem!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANTIS DUDE

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know if chinese mantids are canabelistic or not? can they be kept together in the same cage if you feed them enof? :wacko: :D

All mantids eat each other. Especially these. Last year I found a wild adult female eating another adult female.

even idolomantids eat each other..iv seen pics on here before.i had 8 texas unicorns housed together with lots of food..over 1 month i was left with 6..two had been eaten.

2316570830_c49b350d43_o.jpg

even idolomantids eat each other..iv seen pics on here before.i had 8 texas unicorns housed together with lots of food..over 1 month i was left with 6..two had been eaten.
2316570830_c49b350d43_o.jpg
what is she eating? i know a mantis, what spieces?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the adult female I found eating another adult female. The abdomen of the dead one had the ooth foam on it. Nearby was a small, just started ooth. I think she was laying her ooth and got caught by the other one.

mantids488.jpg

mantids494.jpg

Here is the adult female I found eating another adult female. The abdomen of the dead one had the ooth foam on it. Nearby was a small, just started ooth. I think she was laying her ooth and got caught by the other one.
great pics rick.

NO... If you put any together and they come in contact with one another one of them will surely die.

I know I preach alot about genetic "programming" but I kinda look at mantids and other invertibrates as robots that follow very specific protocol within their operating systems. They do everything just as mother nature programmed them to, without deviance, and rarely will you find exceptions to the norm. When it comes to canabalism, mantids simply do not distinguish between friend and foe. Only when a male is an adult will they treat another mantis as anything other than prey and predator, and only because the female lets off a special perfume to attract him. That being said, all mantids feed based on size of their prey. They stick within set parameters, and those parameters vary from species to species. They will pay no attention to food too small for their programmed parameters, and anything larger than those parameters are regarded with respect and fear. Communal species such as ghosts and gongy's are only such because their maximum size parameter is still pretty small. They hold no regard for their own species, and this can become painfully obvious when you get young and old members of the same species together. Chinese, Acromantis, and some of the more aggressive species have very large maximum size parameters, larger than that of their own bodies, so it is no problem for them to take on another member of their same age, as they will just as easily take on something 50% larger than they are.

NO... If you put any together and they come in contact with one another one of them will surely die.I know I preach alot about genetic "programming" but I kinda look at mantids and other invertibrates as robots that follow very specific protocol within their operating systems. They do everything just as mother nature programmed them to, without deviance, and rarely will you find exceptions to the norm. When it comes to canabalism, mantids simply do not distinguish between friend and foe. Only when a male is an adult will they treat another mantis as anything other than prey and predator, and only because the female lets off a special perfume to attract him. That being said, all mantids feed based on size of their prey. They stick within set parameters, and those parameters vary from species to species. They will pay no attention to food too small for their programmed parameters, and anything larger than those parameters are regarded with respect and fear. Communal species such as ghosts and gongy's are only such because their maximum size parameter is still pretty small. They hold no regard for their own species, and this can become painfully obvious when you get young and old members of the same species together. Chinese, Acromantis, and some of the more aggressive species have very large maximum size parameters, larger than that of their own bodies, so it is no problem for them to take on another member of their same age, as they will just as easily take on something 50% larger than they are.
soo... basically they'll eat eachother

mantids488.jpg

mantids494.jpg
Is that mantis religosa, (the one eating the ant mantis) or what is it? :wacko: