Capturing crickets and butterflies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quake

Reaction score
Hey guys. I live in Pittsburgh, so it is warming up here, and I just got 2 more mantids thanks to mantisplace.com!

I was wondering how safe it is to set up a cricket trap to feed my mantids without spending the bucks to buy new crickets (I have bad luck with breeding store bought feeders)

I live in the suburbs, and nobody around uses pesticides or has a garden at all, actually, and the crickets in my yard range from cave crickets, little black ones, or the light colored guys you can get at petco.

I also have lots of flower pots on my porch, and attract butterflies and moths. Being that my flowers are natural, and I only use miracle grow, will my mantids be okay to eat what I reel in?

Hey guys. I live in Pittsburgh, so it is warming up here, and I just got 2 more mantids thanks to mantisplace.com!I was wondering how safe it is to set up a cricket trap to feed my mantids without spending the bucks to buy new crickets (I have bad luck with breeding store bought feeders)

I live in the suburbs, and nobody around uses pesticides or has a garden at all, actually, and the crickets in my yard range from cave crickets, little black ones, or the light colored guys you can get at petco.

I also have lots of flower pots on my porch, and attract butterflies and moths. Being that my flowers are natural, and I only use miracle grow, will my mantids be okay to eat what I reel in?
Your wild caught live food should be fine. I don't know of any "cricket trap." I just arm myself with my trusty aquarium fish net and go hunting. You might not find a whole lot just yet... until Spring and Summer really get going. Best of luck catching critters! ;)

Thanks. I usually arm myself with a jar and go catch them by hand for my frogs, but it is still cold out. So I put a shoe box full of breadcrumbs and some sugar sprinkles in the basement, where it gets warmer faster than the porch. When spring finds its way past the snow, I should have plenty of food, then. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. I usually arm myself with a jar and go catch them by hand for my frogs, but it is still cold out. So I put a shoe box full of breadcrumbs and some sugar sprinkles in the basement, where it gets warmer faster than the porch. When spring finds its way past the snow, I should have plenty of food, then. Thanks for the reply.
Google is your friend. Here's a sample under <cricket trap> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...20183315AAIGUab

Of course, for any trap to work, there have to be crickets in the area!

Yes it is fine. Why wouldn't it be? <_< Never understood why people ask this question. In the summer I catch all kinds of insects to feed mantids.

Its funny how most the mantid people say its fine to feed them wild caught insects but if you asked on a tarantula forum you would get the total opposite response, they will tell you you should never do it and your risking parasites or poisoning your pets. I will feed wild caught insects to my mantis if I get low on feeders but I ve only had to do that a couple of times and it was fine. I think whenever you do feed wild caught insects though your taking a risk even if its a small one. Ive bred both field and house crickets and field crickets seem to breed alot easier, there defenetly hardier than the house crickets you get at petco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, I'm with Rick. I feed practically any bug I find to my mantids. When I first got into this hobby I solely fed my 8 adult Stagmomantis Limbatas on caught insects from my backyard. Thats alot of insects, and I never have had one problem!

Whenever i think about this question i always ask myself. Would they eat this in nature? ............................... yes

Whenever i think about this question i always ask myself. Would they eat this in nature? ............................... yes
Exactly. Yes pesticides are a valid concern but probably unlikely. I've fed mantids for entire summers just off of what I found outside. Makes for healthy mantids too.

Thanks guys. I thought it wouldn't be a problem becuase I have fed them moths I have found outside, but I was just being safe.

With Phils trap you can have a cricket sandwich afterwards also :)

I was thinking about a gallon jar in the ground with a funnel that is big enough to cover the opening to the jar completely, and food in the jar. Crickets check in , but they don't check out...

I saw some grasshoppers the other day, so they may be on the menu soon :)

I've fed my Mantids with Wild insects at my front yard such as Grasshoppers,katydids,damselflies,dragonflies (Sometimes :p ) and crickets. My front yard is full of them insects. Once, I caught a Tenodera fasciata at my front yard :D . And yes it is safe as long as no pesticides...

Last edited by a moderator:
The first mantis I had (adult european) lived almost solely on wild crickets and large houseflies...he loved them

Latest posts