caring and not sharing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
just noticed a funny thing today as i placed one fly in with my gambian spotted eye nymphs and looked in on them and noticed two nymphs grasping onto the same fly and quickly separated them so one would not eat each other one .As one was eating the fly and has anyone else had this happen on any occasion!

This is really common with shield mantis. I thought it was hilarious. They somehow know when another mantis grabs a fruitfly and they start trying to eat out of the other mantis' arms. They both might try to grab the same fly. Anyway, I think it's so cute when they do that.

My Chinese nymphs occasionally do that, but most of them have gotten pretty good at fending off the would-be thief. Either that, or they'll take off and run on 5 legs with the fly tucked under one front leg like a football. :lol:

I've already caught a couple of them double-fisting - eating 2 flies at once and they're only L2s and L3s - oink! :D

Latest posts