Carolina, Chinese or European Mantid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garin33

Reaction score
I was planning on giving some African mantids to my son's classmates at school and also hoping that maybe I would be able to sell a few to the other kids at his school. Not planning any big business or anything but just for fun and a little side money.

However, I happen to read the section on the forum about legal issues and I guess it's technically illegal to have exoctic mantids as pets except for the European and Chinese species and the domestic species. How disappointing. I am in California.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about my exotic mantids but I don't want some parent complaining that I am giving/selling something illegal. I really like the African because it is so hardy and easy to care for and a very aggressive hunter. Between the Chinese, Carolina and European, what would you say is the most hardy, has the lowest mortality rate, and is most aggressive hunter?

Thanks for any opinions on this.

Chinese and Carolina are pretty good (Carolina might be better than Chinese). I have heard old nymphs and adult female Mantis religiosa are pretty hardy and they are the most good looking of those three to me, that is just me.

I've hard Carolina and Chinese, they both mismolted a lot! I don't think it was due to improper care either. The Chinese is such a big mantis and it eats a LOT! Out of the two, I would recommend the Chinese.

I've hard Carolina and Chinese, they both mismolted a lot! I don't think it was due to improper care either. The Chinese is such a big mantis and it eats a LOT! Out of the two, I would recommend the Chinese.
I have heard that Carolinas very rarely mismolt if kept right (not too much water hahaha). I have heard Chinese Mantids mismolting a lot though. People who like big mantids certainly Chinese would be better than the others?

I have heard that Carolinas very rarely mismolt if kept right (not too much water hahaha). I have heard Chinese Mantids mismolting a lot though. People who like big mantids certainly Chinese would be better than the others?
I wild caught about 5 Carolina's this summer. Only one made it to adult. The rest mismolted. This was when I had only Popas and a few others, so the rest had a 0 mortality rate. Either mine were weak, or this is a bad species to keep nymphs in captivity.

I wild caught about 5 Carolina's this summer. Only one made it to adult. The rest mismolted. This was when I had only Popas and a few others, so the rest had a 0 mortality rate. Either mine were weak, or this is a bad species to keep nymphs in captivity.
Or you did not keep them in the condition where they would not mismolt or rarely (if there is an ideal condition). How much did you mist them?

If you like exotic mantids, it's fine to keep them but when it comes to giving out mantids, I recommend you stick with the native or naturalized mantids in California.

Thank you everyone for all the great info. I don't have any experience with Mantis religiosa or Stagmomantis carolina but I had a lot of mismolts with T. Sinensis this last year. I know there will be those who we will say "I never had a mismolt with T. Sinensis because I do everything right" but I have had very few issues with Africans, Ghosts and Flower mantids so I can't be doing everything wrong.

Thank you Mime454 for sharing about the mismolts regarding Carolina.

Maybe Religiosa is worth giving a shot.

I wasn't planning on trying to wild catch them, but these species are just readily available to me and they are all on the California State Dept of Agriculture list as being ok.

I agree Ntsees that I'm not going to stop keeping other exoctic mantids as pets for myself but for giving away/selling I didn't want to deal with someone complaining, etc. I never realized it would be such a hassle.

Thanks all.

I don't think we have carolina's here, maybe find some limbatas?
Speaking of S. Limbata, does anybody have any experience with the hardiness of Stagmomantis Limbata? I just realized that they are also on the California list.

Thanks.

Latest posts