Carolina female's condition after mating.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rolleyes: Well, I guess some of us have googled deeper than others. Sometimes it is nice to just wait for Phil to explain in exact terms, how googling is done, while he provides a great and helpful link on the subject at hand. B) I am very happy with the results that I get when I post my questions and concerns in this forum. I even get to squeeze in some time to play with, and care for my kid. :lol: Now, I better get off the computer in a few minutes, or we will be late for karate class. ;)
Maybe, but I hear that the old guy is getting well past his prime. His eyesight is shot, and they say that he argues with his dog a lot. Nothing personal against the old fart fellow, of course, but you might want to check some of his "facts" from time to time ("Roxanne's ground mantis"? Where did that come from?) and start looking around for a replacement.

Maybe, but I hear that the old guy is getting well past his prime. His eyesight is shot, and they say that he argues with his dog a lot. Nothing personal against the old fart fellow, of course, but you might want to check some of his "facts" from time to time ("Roxanne's ground mantis"? Where did that come from?) and start looking around for a replacement.
It's okay, I'm sure we could all chip in a buy you a new pair of glasses. :)

professor.png

Sorry, this was quite off topic. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Both sisters were mated by the same male and laid 2 great looking oothecae each, so far.

Yesterday, I let my daughter reintroduce the same male with the first female that he mated. He hopped right on and connected for his usual 6 hours. :lol: He is very consistent, and the female is still showing off her spermatophore today. :D

He is mating with the other sister now, I am pleased to note that he looks like he will do the usual 6 hours because he seems to have lost many of his motor skills. I usually would have given him more time before using him again, but his condition is deteriorating quickly.

That male mantis can barely walk, and keeps falling off of plants and other things. He was real restless and spending alot of time stumbling around and falling on his back.

I am surprised that when I put him on the female today, she slapped him a couple of times, but he whacked her with his antennae and connected. :eek: It has been almost 5 hours and he hasn't fallen off of her yet. :lol: I am just surprised that the seemingly "at death's door" male can mate perfectly fine. :rolleyes: I will be looking to see if his spermatophore is smaller than the previous one that he inserted into the other female on 3/11. :)

There is one web site written by a lady and it is regarding insects. In it she states more than once that there is a myth that female mantids often consume their mates during or after mating. Many have read this web site's postings and have gone away either misinformed, confused, or as in my case, laughing. Listen to Phil, though, but search with caution, consider the sources, and always question any information that goes against what the majority in the field of study say.

Latest posts