Carolina Mantis found in the Garden

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_named_noodles

Reaction score
At least I think this is a Carolina mantis.

mantis.jpg

mantisface.jpg

mantishand.jpg

mantid.jpg

mantidhandg.jpg
gabemantis.jpg

At least a Stagmomantis. S. limbata lives in the western part of Texas but I do not know for far east it goes. I would guess your mantis is a Carolina Mantis because of it's colors though maybe there are S. limbata male nymphs similar in color to this.

I was guessing Carolina mantis because of the coloring as well, and because they're pretty common around here. We're in central Texas, halfway between Austin and San Antonio, so I don't know if S. limbata lives out here or not either. Perhaps we'll see this little guy again in the future. We let it go today after finding it on the car and feeding it a cricket and a moth.

I used to keep Creobroter pictipennis, and have kept local species off and on, and Chinese mantises, but not any more, as kids and college have sort of taken over my life! I would love to get some flowers again, or Hymenopus coronatus, or Odontomantis spp.

Actually now I am not certain if this probably male S. carolina is not sub-adult. Usually a sub-adult has larger wingbuds. If this is a male that has skipped a molt then maybe they have smaller wingbuds at sub-adult.

Sub-adult S. carolina male that molted today. (sorry for bad quality)

10553929_1539379562951001_6095486260715619192_o.jpg

Latest posts