Carolina mantis Ootheca Problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
My Carolina Ooth detached from the roof of my cage and I am going to hatch it. Should it be upside down on the roof for optimum hatching? If so what would I use to attach it to the roof?

Invest in a low-temperature hot glue gun. There is a million uses for them in this hobby. Just attach it to the lid with a tiny drop of the glue.

which way do i attach it? arent you supposed to put the side that goes downwards down instead of up so the mantises get out easier? I have a glue gun btw.

If you are glueing to the lid then all you need to do is make sure you don't glue on the side the mantises hatch out of. Just reattach from the side that broke off the lid the first time. Technically it can even hatch out from the ground as long as it isn't resting on the part the mantises exit from

which way do i attach it? arent you supposed to put the side that goes downwards down instead of up so the mantises get out easier? I have a glue gun btw.
Nope otherwise they couldn't hatch there is only one area on the ooth they can emerge from, and they hang from the ooth during hatching. I'd suggest looking at ooth hatches on youtube to see what I am talking about. Simply glue the side that was originally attached, which should be the flat side.

I really am not sure what you're asking. You would attach it just as the mantis would, with the side the mantids come out of facing down. You could glue it with the side the mantids emerge from facing to the side but the first way I mentioned is probably a bit better.

I believe Rick, he wants to make sure the "zipper" part of the ooth where the nymphs emerge is left exposed and in the proper hatching position. Mantis Man13, as everyone else stated as long as that zipper part is left exposed they can hatch :) it doesn't matter which end of the zipper is pointed up or down. I have had them hatch on a flat surface facing up but it must be easier if the ooth is hanging. Gravity and all :)

Here's a sample setup. For that particular ooth, I'm not sure why I glued the ooth to a twig and then the twig to the lid - I could've simply glued the ooth directly to the lid.

Latest posts