Carpenter bee male, anyone?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrh3

Reaction score
Does anyone feed male carpenter bees to there large species. Males have NO stingers so this may be a good food source as i have plenty around my house and woods. I was planning on feeding these to my sub adult H majusculas. Im sure they are strong enough to take these down but wanted to double check with yall. It seems 1 carpenter bee male would be easier than multiple flies and moths.

So long as the mantis is large enough to handle it. I've used them as feeders now and then.

Success happened, im only gonna take a few as this will keep my population up, i love these guys! I noticed my male was looking at her licking his lips so im gonna offer one to him, lol.

Hey could you catch a female and male carpenter bee and send it to me? Ill pay shipping and w/e cost...if not, I understand....

All the best,

Andrew

jrh,

The males hover so wildly and erratic - how do you catch them? Females do land, but I don't want to mess with them (until they start boring into my house).

jrh,

The males hover so wildly and erratic - how do you catch them? Females do land, but I don't want to mess with them (until they start boring into my house).
With A Butterfly Net Swing Fast.

My neighbors ALREADY think I'm a lunatic... :wacko: Running around with a butterfly net would seal the deal.

Use A White Sheet With A Light Bulb Daylight Cfl, Work Best Shine The Sheet With It Hanging Up. You Will Have Tons Of Bugs On It The Next Day. You Can Even Build A Catch, I Think Yen Has A Post About This Somewhere.

How do you tell a male carpenter bee from a female?

Hey could you catch a female and male carpenter bee and send it to me? Ill pay shipping and w/e cost...if not, I understand....
All the best,
Andrew
Why would you want these guys? They really devastate the wood in your house/are hard to get rid of.

How do you tell a male carpenter bee from a female?

Why would you want these guys? They really devastate the wood in your house/are hard to get rid of.
You're right psyched! Horribly destructive. So get rid of them by feeding your mantids !!

Only way I can tell a male is they rarely (very rarely) land because of war dances against other males. If the bee is calmly walking around looking at crevices, wood spaces, etc, it's a female. She eats your house and carries a stinger.

You're right psyched! Horribly destructive. So get rid of them by feeding your mantids !!

Only way I can tell a male is they rarely (very rarely) land because of war dances against other males. If the bee is calmly walking around looking at crevices, wood spaces, etc, it's a female. She eats your house and carries a stinger.
No They Are Easy To Tell. A Male Has A Yellow Whitish Dot On His Head Between His Eyes. Females Dont.All It Takes Is One Look.

I tried, but none of my majusculas were hungry then....And since my dad didn't want em around, I stepped on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some research on these guys and they forage like normal bees and get the nectar and such...but as far as colony construction, there was barely anything...anybody have any more info on them?

Latest posts