Catching and keeping flying prey insects

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdsnuts

Reaction score
So my folks have a huge butterfly bush in their garden and it's always filled with flying critters. I'd like to go there with my net and scoop up as many as I can. Thing is, I'm not sure how to efficiently put them into a container, and then once in the container, how the heck would I get them out for my mantis'?

Any tips would be appreciated!!

Put the containers (containing the critters) in the freezer for about 1 minute. This will numb them to where they stop moving. Then simply use finders or tongs to put them in the mantis container. The prey will start moving soon after being taken out of the cold environment. Do not leave the prey in the freezer too long. It'll kill them.

I just use the fridge. When I go mothing I pick them off the wall and pop them in a 32 oz container. I open it part way to try to keep the caught moths from escaping. When you scoop something up close up your hanjd around it, keeping a space for your catch, and grasp it by the wings. Legs come off too easy. If its a bee or other stinger let it go! Its no fun being stung.

I store my moths in the fridge if I caught more than enough for my mantids to eat at one time.

I usually just transfer my caught goods directly from my net to my mantises. XD

I use a mesh net and transfer directly without stunning. If I do not need all the catch, I just have a holding cage for those. Freezer stunning is a good technique. I have trapped up to twenty flies from a bait at one time with the mesh net.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are always insects around the butterfly bush, why not simply catch 'em fresh and feed immediately? :D

Otherwise, any of the above methods I saw are good.

I catch things on my butterfly bushes with a 32 oz insect cup. The cup has a feeding hole with a foam plug and I just remove the bugs through that with tongs and drop into mantis enclosures.

Latest posts