caterpillars

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantidian

Reaction score
Found a yellow jacket wasp nest on my front door yesterday so I knocked it down and fed the wasp to my mantis after plucking its abdoment out:p

So when the nest fell apart, 5 caterpillars dropped out, with 2 dead. ( dehydrated?)

so today 4/5 of them were dead with one which split into black grains =,=

so the question is, can I feed the caterpillars to my mantids? or are they poisonous cos they where stung by the wasp?

any help appreciated:)

cheers

Jonjoe

Alex? Shhhhh!

I would not feed anything which has been poisoned by another insect to my mantids. Doesnt sound like the greatest idea. Wasp larvae, on the other hand... ;) :D

it would be helpful if we knew what kind of wasp it was...

the wasp don't kill the caterpillars. they paralyze them and feed them to their larvae. I guess if you feed a mantis the caterpillars they will also end up paralyzed as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use those pillars as a food source. Probably woulnd't hurt anything but it would be far down on my list of food for mantids.

They are definitely caterpillars: 3 pairs of sharp legs and 4 suckers
Not saying they're wasp larvae, but sawfly larvae also have 3 pairs of legs & pseudopodae.

wpeF3.jpg

its look like the common green caterpillar you see in a park. about 5mm thick and 1.5/2 cm long. but its definitely not the thing in the pic!

Latest posts