Caught a big female Tenodera sinensis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
I named her Goliath. She's 3" and is only a subadult. She's as large as my adult! Cheech is also 3". Cheech had hatched from an ootheca I collected. Hatched in May. Well I found Goliath by a different spot, not too far from where I'd first spotted all the oothecae in May, and all the mantids this month. Too far for the mantid to have crawled all the way there though. She's the 3rd one I spotted over there. There must have been oothecae laid there as well. Well when I saw her, I fell in love immediately. A big, green beauty! I kept her and released one of my other wild caught females. To be fair. I don't want to collect them all, they're not Pokemon! I do plan to release nymphs from oothecae that hatch after I breed mine though, so they really shouldn't ever dwindle in that area.

Anyways, here's some photos!

Same size:

tenodera_sinensis_size_differences__f__by_alexandersmantids-d7vvxw6.jpg

The males ruined Cheech's wings, the frisky buggers:

cheech_and_goliath__females__t__sinensis_by_alexandersmantids-d7vvyls.jpg

the_pleading_eyes_of_goliath_by_alexandersmantids-d7w1jqk.jpg

goliath_cleaning__subadult_female_t__sinensis_by_alexandersmantids-d7w1k40.jpg

blue_against_green_by_alexandersmantids-d7w1j75.jpg

love____im_in_it__by_alexandersmantids-d7w1imi.jpg

she_tickles_my_fancy__i_mean__face__by_alexandersmantids-d7w1iws.jpg

camoflauge_at_its_best___goliath_by_alexandersmantids-d7w1hvl.jpg

All the other green ones I'd caught turned brown after two molts with me, I'm hoping she'll stay green since she only has one molt left! Either way I'll love her, but I really want a green adult.

Catch em all. They are non-natives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow she is big huh?

and super vibrant color, she is a keeper for sure!

she maybe even greener than echo, if you breed her definitely let me know.

as common as they are I think the t sin's are awesome

Wow she is big huh?

and super vibrant color, she is a keeper for sure!

she maybe even greener than echo, if you breed her definitely let me know.

as common as they are I think the t sin's are awesome
Yeah its awesome! definitely keeping her. I release a different wild caught, named pleakley, lol. She was such a frightened green noodle.

Okay ill let you know for sure

I think theyre awesome too!

They were originally non-native but through no fault of their own were brought here by HUMANS(as usual not caring about the consequences of their actions) and now this country is their home as well. Personally I would choose these "illegal aliens" over most of the human trash that has invaded our country but I guess that's just me.

They are just as wonderful a species as any other mantis and I applaud anyone's interest in preserving them.

They were originally non-native but through no fault of their own were brought here by HUMANS(as usual not caring about the consequences of their actions) and now this country is their home as well. Personally I would choose these "illegal aliens" over most of the human trash that has invaded our country but I guess that's just me.

They are just as wonderful a species as any other mantis and I applaud anyone's interest in preserving them.
Agreed!

I have still yet to find anything other than a T. sinensis around here. The way I look at it is, well, it's better than having no mantids around.

I measured echo today by the way. She's just under 4 inches, I'll try to get a good picture for you
Wow sweet! thatll be about the size of this big female i found. Did you measure echo from arms to back feet, or head to anus?

A picture is a must lol

There should be S. carolina in your area.
Not where she lives apparently. ive never seen one either honestly. Theyre probably in the state just not at the exact spot i live

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts