Caught a mantid. ID please and how to take care of?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreyB

Reaction score
I live in Tennessee and lastnight at the coffee shop I found a mantid. I don't know what kind he/she is but this thing is pretty big. I put him in a 20 gal. aquarium with all kinds of grapevine and decor to use but I really don't know if he will? I threw a cricket in there to see if he was hungry and he gobbled it up which i'm guessing is a good sign. I don't really know anything about them so any info is greatly appriciated. How long do they live and does it depend on m/f? Do they drink from an open container or should I just mist the tank? Before someone says anything about it i'm sure the tank size is really big but it's all I have other than a medium kritter keeper so I guess im doing it ok?

Welcome. Please make an introduction in the introductions forum. Try the search feature as your questions have already been answered many times. A pic would be helpful in making an ID.

A 20 gallon isn't too big though it is far bigger than most mantid keepers use. Catch some grasshoppers and moths and put them in the cage for food. I'll assume it's a screen lid and not the glass fold back lid (screen is important). Mantids tend not to drink from open containers. It will probably live till November, maybe a little longer if it's a female.

Thanks guys.......I got another one today at the same store go figure and I have no idea how to tell if it's male or female. Should I put them in the same container?

If you don't mind them eating each other, you can put them in the same place. They might not eat each other, but it is certainly a risk. If you show us a picture of them, we can tell you if they are male or female and we can attempt to figure out the species.

Latest posts