centipede mites?! eggs?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lan

Reaction score
i have a giant african yellow-legged centipede, and i noticed lots of tiny clusters (what appear to be eggs) all over the centipede's body. they don't move and they're a tan-ish color. does anyone know what these are? sorry i don't have any pictures. any help will be appreciated! thanks.

You are seeing the hypopus stage of grain mites. They feed on various grain materials as well as dead insects and are found everywhere. Change out the substrate and be careful of overfeeding. Remove uneaten dead prey and leftover parts. They will die out after a few months with improved husbandry.

Hi,

I need help about my little Centipede. One day I ve spoted some dots covered all over it. So I took some fotos of it and it looks like mites.

But how can i get rid of them ? Any ideas or advice ?

Fotos fot better info:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you consider dutchys( predatory mites)? those things eat all parasites and then eachother. Resulting in one miteless enclosure ;)

Why don't you consider dutchys( predatory mites)? those things eat all parasites and then eachother. Resulting in one miteless enclosure ;)
So what shall i do ? leave them to eat them self ? I just hope that they wount kill my centiped :)

If you make sure to remove all food leftovers they'll eventually decrease in number and go away. You can also try removing the bulk of them with a cotton swab and alcohol though it's not easy to hold down a centipede.

I noticed you substrate looks very dry, I'm guessin there's a water dish elsewhere in the cage?

If you make sure to remove all food leftovers they'll eventually decrease in number and go away. You can also try removing the bulk of them with a cotton swab and alcohol though it's not easy to hold down a centipede. I noticed you substrate looks very dry, I'm guessin there's a water dish elsewhere in the cage?
Nope I ve removed the water dish from the box, I think that mites came from the cricketes. I ve tried to hold the cent. with gloves and to remove the mites manualy but its a hard fight :)

Now I am keeping it without a food and water i a low temperature so the mites could die or just go away, I just hope that my cent. wound die sooner then mites :-D