Certain plants poisonous to mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a whole bag of cheetos. I can just imagine them with the orange powder all over their mouth and front claws :lol: :p

Hi Carol,

first, when my mantids (some) begin to show old age similar things begin to happen. I even had on who literally began to fall apart. she began to lose use of her raptoral arms first and was beginning to have problems feeding herself of course her appetite was also compromised as well. Eventually, I signed up here and found that different members had similar experiences with old age setting into their mantids. Of course the symptoms do vary.

Second, recently our building was treated for an unusual outbreak of stinkin bed bugs. The exterminator sprayed EVERYTHING you could think of. Mostly the spraying was concentrated in the bedroom with minimal spray in the living room area. When I received my mantids this time they seemed to begin to wither within days of my receipt. At first, I did not know what was wrong. then one day soon after I received them I went to clean the tanks and do a bit of separating and one jumped off the lid and ran across the floor. I knew there was DE on the carpet and had tried to vacuum most up before they arrived because was very light and became airborne easily/. Well, when I caught it and put him back into the tank only hours later i noticed it could not use it's arms and was losing control of its rear legs. The legs would just rise up and stay for no reason at all and he would struggle to get them back down. Soon, he began to have difficulty moving his head it stayed bent downward and his body seemed to be growing stiff like rigor mortis or something. This kept up right until it died. I then lost another in the same manner and quickly moved my babies to the living room after washing everything down, vacuuming and so on, first. I guess it worked because I have not lost any more in that manner since. So, any poisonous substances, even in the air I imagine, will be suspect for you. Don't know if any of this is related to your situation but of helps in any way but I wish you the best in solving this issue.

Well, I posted this under a different thread a couple of weeks ago but my mantis definitely underwent a behavior change when my boyfriend blew marijuana smoke on him. He got agitated and jumped on me from several feet away. Before that he had never tried to jump anywhere at all!

QUOTE (d0rk2dafullest @ Dec 16 2008, 09:48 AM) *(just dont put in reefa in the aquarium
wink.gif
)

OK.... crazy thought here. I don't know why my mind decided to entertain this question... but here's where Dork2dafullest's comment made my train of thought go. And no, I don't smoke anything other than cigarettes. Though back in the day when I was younger... well, we won't go there!
tongue.gif

Anyway, you've all heard of "medical marijuana" used in the capacity of a treatment for various medical problems. What if exposing mantids to marijuana smoke increased their appetite when ill, or provided other beneficial effects to their health when sick? I know they don't "breathe" in the same fashion as we do. But wouldn't their spiracles absorb the chemical components of the smoke if they were exposed to a fair concentration of it? It might sound foolish or crazy, and I'm not condoning anyone try it... but what if?

Latest posts