Chameleon Advice?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as someone who has had chameleons for some time, I'll say they are not cheap to own.

the cost of the animal is only the begining. cage costs, feeding, vet bills, all add up fast.

if you are not interested in learning and reading about this wonderful animal then stay away. even the beginer chameleons are more like the Idolo of the reptile world.

pygmy chameleons will always be arround. they are small but if WC or an F1 they will be adults when you buy them and may no longer take fruit flys. two week old crickets and houseflys seem to be favorites. they need very little UVB and almost no dusting.

if you get some babies from a breeder then they will still be on fruit flys.

getting something like Kinyongia multituberculata requires higher humidity then most at a time when you also need less heat for it. the added humidity while the temps are cooler make it harder then most to keep. but still not too crazy until the summer months when room temps have to be kept low while humidity high.

panthers and veilds don't require low temps, and are far better for the begginer.

I'm not a big insect person. if it weren't for having chameleons then I would have never entered this hobbie. chameleons are a good pet. you just have to learn a lot about them as each one has their own requirements.

oh, and yeah, Satanic leaftails do cost $400 to $600 a pair easy as they are no longer allowed to be WC anymore.

Harry

Just be sure to have 2 kinds of calcium suppliments, with D3, and without. Chams are sensitive to too much D3.

Latest posts