Chinese and min outdoor temps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenBean

Reaction score
What is the lowest outdoor temp a Chinese mantis can tolerate, nymphs in particular? I just had some hatch MUCH earlier than I had anticipated and our temperatures are dropping outside to close to freezing again! Could they at least survive one night of close to freezing temps?

thanks,

GB

It is way too early to release from what you describe.

It is way too early to release from what you describe.
Yes, I would not have done it, but here's the story:

I was in Vancouver, BC, and bought a Chinese ooth at a bug museum. Brought it home in a paper bag. The following day I looked in the bag with the intention of putting them in a "better" place until hatching time. I looked in and saw this black mass at the bottom of the bag...hundreds of beautiful, live nymphs. What the **** was I to do??? I tried supporting them for a few days on fruit flies and pinheads and water mist, but with that many, I had to release most of them obviously. I'm not set up yet for the spring (June here) onslaught of babes!

GB

You can release them if they are found in your area. But chances are, if it's still cold, they might not make it (temperature and food-wise). What I would do in your situation is leave them together and let them cannibalized until you have a good amount you want to keep. It is not the most decent idea for most people but I think it might help with the food problem.

[quote name='Deby' timestamp='1301936619'

Lots of Chinese die in the first instar,

(response below. Can't seem to delete a post yet...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of Chinese die in the first instar, anyway.
Is that right? More so than other species? This is my first experience with the Chinese. I managed to hold onto a few indoors. A spirited bunch, they are! Thriving well and Lightening fast. Hard to get the lid on before they're on the container rim again. I don't remember the m. religiosa being quite so jumpy as nymphs. These guys have a lot of personality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Chinese have a reputation for a lot dying off in the first instar for no apparent reason. But you're right, they do love to hop around and they are ridiculously fast! I was trying to hold one of my Chinese nymphs last night and the little guy wouldn't stop jumping off my hand! Good thing I was sitting on my carpeted floor, so he didn't fall far.

Latest posts