Chinese Dying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HempKnight

Reaction score
I decided to separate 105 of my Chinese into 4 oz. deli cups. I feed and water them almost every other day. I started to notice that if a cricket is left in the container for about a day and the mantis doesn’t eat it, the mantis dies. Now I am not sure if it is because they are babies and a lot of them die or if the crickets are beating up the mantis. I really don’t understand how the mantis would lose but hey, you never know. I was just curious about everyone else’s opinion. Thanks!

Mark

You seperated all 100+ into individual containers? You must have a lot of time to spare! Chances are most of them will die regardless of what you do. It's just one of those things.

Did you really separate each one of them?? I wouldn't separate Chinese this early, but separating orchids this early is a lot more feasible because not as many die.

I have a good 4 chinese in a nice big jar together. There were 10 originally but these guys were the strong ones apparently. I feed them mini crickes but throw a few fruit flies in too, just to be sure theyre all eating. Mine are all at like an L4 level now, so maybe your just feeding them crickets too soon.

Ya I decided to separate a lot of them. I made my girlfriend help me so it didn't take that long :twisted:. She also helps me feed and water them so it isn’t that bad. It’s not that I have a lot of free time (I work two jobs and I'm finishing up school) it’s that I love working with inverts and reptiles. I could spend all day on them and not mind at all. So, how many of the Chinese usually live from one ooth?

Ya I decided to separate a lot of them. I made my girlfriend help me so it didn't take that long :twisted:. She also helps me feed and water them so it isn’t that bad. It’s not that I have a lot of free time (I work two jobs and I'm finishing up school) it’s that I love working with inverts and reptiles. I could spend all day on them and not mind at all. :roll: So, how many of the Chinese usually live from one ooth?
Maybe 1-5% make it to adult, unfortunately.

Ya I decided to separate a lot of them. I made my girlfriend help me so it didn't take that long :twisted:. She also helps me feed and water them so it isn’t that bad. It’s not that I have a lot of free time (I work two jobs and I'm finishing up school) it’s that I love working with inverts and reptiles. I could spend all day on them and not mind at all. :roll: So, how many of the Chinese usually live from one ooth?
A few if you're lucky.

I keep Chinese Mantids and hatched out several ootheca this spring. I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of nymphs I had. Realizing I could never feed them all I kept them all together in a largfe aquarium and fed them heavily. As suspected they widled their numbers down through canibalism. I did however seperate 6 in indiviidual jars and had no problem raising the individual ones. I think that the survival rate described in this thread is not correct if given the proper care. Seperating them as you dod should have yielded at least a 75% survival rate.

I believe you went wrong leaving crickets in with them. My nymphys were fed the larger fruit fly, D. hydea from hatching untill they were about L3 or L4. I didn't even try to introduce crickets till they were about L4. Then I only added tiny, 1/4 inch crickets.

Crickets can be very agressive. I have seen 3-4 1/2 inch crickets take down a 2-3 inch mantis no problem. Next time leave out the crickets for a little longer. Feed the large fruit fly D. hydea.

I currently saved 4 adults to work with and try to breed this summer. The rest I either sold or gave away.

Tom

Latest posts