Chinese male mantis trap?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Im new here but I have an idea. What if you put a female mantis in a mesh cage divided in half with a mesh wall. In the half without the female there will be a funnel opening. My primary concern is to catch too many males and they eat each other.

Will this be a problem?

Doubt that will work. Go introduce yourself in the intro forum.

Im new here but I have an idea. What if you put a female mantis in a mesh cage divided in half with a mesh wall. In the half without the female there will be a funnel opening. My primary concern is to catch too many males and they eat each other.Will this be a problem?
It probably depends on what species your dealing with. For the mantids I keep, I've put at least 5 adult males together in a cage and they don't eat each other. They just mind there own business. Someone elses experience may be different though.

It probably depends on what species your dealing with. For the mantids I keep, I've put at least 5 adult males together in a cage and they don't eat each other. They just mind there own business. Someone elses experience may be different though.
Interesting, my males allways try to mate with eachother. <_< Iris oratoria of course.

Sorry for the bad description that I put up earlier. I wanted to put a diagram but the uploader cant upload even the simplest microsoft paint pictures.

So a mesh cage is devided in half with a mesh wall. On one half is a funnel opening so the male can go in but not out. On the other half is a female. The males will get trapped in the cage but they will not get eaten because the female is seperated from them. I never catch a male its like they dont exist. In case you are wondering we are talking about chinese mantids. Sould I put plastic plants in the cage so that they will feel more secure and if there are two males cannibalism is less likely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, my males allways try to mate with eachother. <_< Iris oratoria of course.
Lol really? I know that it's very possible for that to happen. I'll put some together again later this month (they're just becoming adults in my area) and see if that happens. At least they're not killing and eating each other.

Lol I agree. But I forgot to add that the three males that repeatedly kept trying to mate with each other were kept in a container where I previously kept the females and mated them. Is it possible that they sensed the pheremones produced by the females (that were no longer there) and blindly assumed any mantis was a female? This could also explain some cases of interspecific mating.

Sorry for the bad description that I put up earlier. I wanted to put a diagram but the uploader cant upload even the simplest microsoft paint pictures.So a mesh cage is devided in half with a mesh wall. On one half is a funnel opening so the male can go in but not out. On the other half is a female. The males will get trapped in the cage but they will not get eaten because the female is seperated from them. I never catch a male its like they dont exist. In case you are wondering we are talking about chinese mantids. Sould I put plastic plants in the cage so that they will feel more secure and if there are two males cannibalism is less likely?
If Chinese mantids are very common in your area, you shouldn't have a problem calling in a male. Here's the technique I use. I put a caged female (gorged and fat) inside a not-so-dense bush (like a rose bush). She has to have been accostumed to living in that cage. The bush is best by itself with no or little plants surrounding it. Over the night, the female may release pheromones within the vicinity to attract males. If there are males nearby, they will fly towards the cage and try to search for the female. As dawn approaches, the hopeless male(s) may decide to stay in the bush (because it has branches that it can rest on during the day). If she is successful in calling a male, you'll most likely find the male resting quietly on the branches of the bush (don't use a bush that has no grip on the stems). The reason why it is better to have a lone bush is so that you can have an easier time locating the male. If you leave the caged female on the side of a wall outside, the male may leave as dawn approaches because it's dangerous for it to be exposed. This technique has always worked for me although it may take a few days. It works for me because the mantid that exists in my area (Iris oratoria) are very common. Another mantid that also exists in my area is the European mantid but they are not so common. I have tried the caged technique for many years for the Europeans but I'm never successful. Even right now, my lone female European outside, which I caught in my backyard, is releasing pheromones (you just know because of the way they position their abodomen and moving their ~ovipositer while peacefully still) but she has not managed to call in a male. Maybe it's because they're not common in my area or whether it's just the species, I don't know. If your not able to call in a male with the caged technique, it's probably because they're not too common or your female isn't doing her job. Then again, I'm just telling you my experiences and it may not work in all cases.

Lol I agree. But I forgot to add that the three males that repeatedly kept trying to mate with each other were kept in a container where I previously kept the females and mated them. Is it possible that they sensed the pheremones produced by the females (that were no longer there) and blindly assumed any mantis was a female? This could also explain some cases of interspecific mating.
Yup, that was my next guess on why your males may have tried mating with each other. In terms of interspecific mating, I have yet to see it happen successfully. I've had cases where the male managed to get on the back of a different female mantid species. However, the male's lower abdomen was never able to lock on. It's like a key and a lock. If you don't have the right key, you won't be able to put it in the lock and turn. But I suggest you or anyone not try it unless you are holding the females forlegs because once the male gets on, she will go into defense mode and attack the male (it's gonna get ugly). Somehow, the female can tell that the male is not of her species.

Interesting...so the female can differentiate between species but the male can't? I don't intend to try I just figured that the males can differentiate as well but once they're introduced to proper pheremones they react uncontrollably.

And it appears, you're in the same predicament as me. All I catch out here is Iris oratoria. But a fellow student brought in an adult female Mantis religiosa last year with a missing raptorial arm. I took her home and she layed two infertile ooths and died within two days. That was the first and only one I've seen out here. Which is why I was determined to catch some when I went to California (Northern-Bay Area). Luckily I found the five (recently six) specimens I have now.

Interesting...so the female can differentiate between species but the male can't? I don't intend to try I just figured that the males can differentiate as well but once they're introduced to proper pheremones they react uncontrollably.
Yeah, that's my experience. It also depends on the species as well. I don't know what other mantid species are like but for "aged" European males, there's a high probability they'll go for it. However, the opposite of this will not work 99% of the time (male Iris oratoria and female European).

And for your Europeans, good luck with them because I've almost always failed to bring the immatures to adulthood (this was way back when I didn't have enough experience yet). I could probably succeed now with the experience I have with Iris oratoria, but I don't have the resources for raising two species. I have always liked Europeans because of their large size at adulthood but I just don't like how their secondary wings are plain. It is impossible, but I want to one day see a mantid that looks like a European mantid (eye spots on the underside of the forlegs) and has the wings of an Iris oratoria. Now that type of mantid, in defense mode, is going to look awesome (the combination of both Mantis religiosa and Iris oratoria) :D .

Hahaha Thanks. I've been able to raise a couple of junenile females up to subadult stage. They molted twice since I've caught them. Iris oratoria is the only species I've successfully reared and bred. And of course I still have them. I like Mantis religiosa due to their size and the horizontal line that goes through the eye. I grew up with this species (as did everyone else most likely) and they remind me of California. And yeah, a mantis with features of both species would be awesome! I can imagine the behaviour of it too. You almost sound like someone who would attempt to cross breed the two. ;)

Oh and btw, on the other thread (my thread) I posted a link to an experiment done with multiple Europeans males and females and sexual cannibalism, sperm competition, ect. Too lazy to find and post it again as I'm going to sleep. Get my laptop tomorrow! :D

Hahaha Thanks. I've been able to raise a couple of junenile females up to subadult stage. They molted twice since I've caught them. Iris oratoria is the only species I've successfully reared and bred. And of course I still have them. I like Mantis religiosa due to their size and the horizontal line that goes through the eye. I grew up with this species (as did everyone else most likely) and they remind me of California. And yeah, a mantis with features of both species would be awesome! I can imagine the behaviour of it too. You almost sound like someone who would attempt to cross breed the two. ;) Oh and btw, on the other thread (my thread) I posted a link to an experiment done with multiple Europeans males and females and sexual cannibalism, sperm competition, ect. Too lazy to find and post it again as I'm going to sleep. Get my laptop tomorrow! :D
As crazy as is sounds, I have tried to cross them in the past because I wanted those two traits on a mantid. But like I mentioned above, its like using a wrong key to a lock and so a connection was never made even though the male tried his best. Experimented that and it didn't work and so I moved on. I guess it's a good thing that mantids, at least in this case, of different species can't interbreed otherwise we'd have trouble identifying them like some other animal species that can.

(p.s.- YES! I finally hatched and now I'm a 1st instar! So it takes 20 posts/comments to hatch huh? Errr...can't wait until I become a full-winged adult :D .)

Haha yeah I remember when they first started the whole instar system. I was a third or fourth instar. And no, it doesn't sound crazy that you tried to crossbreed the two. I would do the same if I had two seemingly compatible mantids (eg., Tenodera angustipennis and Tenodera sinensis). No matter how many times I've heard not to. :p