Chinese Mantid Devouring Large Grasshopper

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManisJunky

Reaction score
Adult female Chinese Mantid devouring a grasshopper. Notice the size of the mandibles on the grasshopper and how the mantid clamped them shut. The mantid then began eating around the mandibles then was victorious at eating them up at the end. = )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgf0Nk6GHo8

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it that that grasshopper can still move its [remaining] mouthparts after the mantis ate its head?

-Tomato

How is it that that grasshopper can still move its [remaining] mouthparts after the mantis ate its head?

-Tomato
I think its the same thing like a mantis being able to live for a few days after its head gets chomped off by a mate.

I actually felt kind of bad for the grasshopper! It was a fighter, but definitely out gunned!
gunsmilie.gif
Nice video though. Are you using a seperate magnifying glass while you record?

I actually felt kind of bad for the grasshopper! It was a fighter, but definitely out gunned!
gunsmilie.gif
Nice video though. Are you using a seperate magnifying glass while you record?
Thanks for watching! Yeah, manually holding up a 4x magnifying glass. Maybe one day soon I'll swing for a nice digital macro camcorder. = ) Currently using an aiptek hd 1080p.

Thanks for watching! Yeah, manually holding up a 4x magnifying glass. Maybe one day soon I'll swing for a nice digital macro camcorder. = ) Currently using an aiptek hd 1080p.
Hey, whatever works! I need a good macro camera myself. Great idea with that magnifying glass though!

Hey, whatever works! I need a good macro camera myself. Great idea with that magnifying glass though!
Thanks! I just happened to buy it from Radio Shack awhile back, it also has a pair of tweezers on it, and it seemed to fit "perfectly" on the end. I could probably velcro or tape it on there for more mobility.

I've been looking at the Canon Vixia HF200 and would probably get this with the +10 macro mag refurbished.

Latest posts