Chinese Mantid Eating Beetle

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManisJunky

Reaction score
My adult female Chinese mantid eating a wild caught beetle. The beetle was found at night attracted to the back deck light. Any idea on the species of beetle? At first the mantid was confused about eating it then found a nice juicy part to begin devouring. :D Also notice the holes in the beetle after impaling....simply amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fql2FlHplYE

Last edited by a moderator:
It reminds me of the first time I gave my mantids surinam roaches, I didn't think that they could get through the tough parts. :) I was wrong! :lol:

For ID: www.bugguide.net A warning though, it may take awhile because there are a lot of different beetles.

I fed my adult Chinese it's first b. lateralis roach yesterday and I couldn't believe how she powered through it's shell and devoured it in no time! They are such amazing eaters! Awesome video! And I have no idea what kind of beetle that is, but I have seen those here in Oklahoma City. I think Krissim Klaw is right, dead beetle!

Didn't seem dead yet. :shifty:
True, true. :) I can ensure you it's dead though, it ate everything in it's shell like a human would eat a clam... lol. Need to clean out the enclosure in a bit. Uploading another video of the mantid chowing down on a giant grasshopper with HUGE mandibles....good stuff. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts