Chinese Mantis - Curved Abdomen (NOT Fold)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SntaCruz83

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if this is something I should worry about. This isn't like the "fold" or "bend" i've had with other Chinese mantises, this is a definite curve that this one particular mantis has been showing all day. I've tried moving him every few hours to different locations to see if it's a setting issue, but he doesn't seem to want to straighten out. I thought it was about time for him to be molting and that this might be related, but I threw in a grass skipper and in a few minutes he was chompin' away. Although, he did only eat about 3/4 of it. Anyway, just looking for some input. The only thing I was able to find on the forums is that the Chinese mantis isn't supposed to be curved the way other species do.

P.S. Sorry about the dramatic lighting, I guess he thinks he's the Chosen One of the mantids.

6057390779_acc05b4b29_b.jpg

It seems about to molt.But they usually empty their stomach before.Maybe it will take a little bit longer than usual.Dont feed it anymore.Wait and see.

Molting with such a big stomach can be an issue with Tenodera,but there is no reason to worry right now.Good luck!

All of my young praying mantids (and I have four that age right now) have curved abdomens. Nothing to worry about :)

Thanks for the response guys. He still hasn't molted, but I'll be patient. Abdomen is still curved like in the picture, but it was just so odd compared to the other 6 I had that never displayed this curvature.

Latest posts