chinese mantis fungal infection?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykey14

Reaction score
My chinese mantis, ruffles, has a black thingy growing along her back and a little on her head.

I think it may be a fungal infection.

How do i kill the fungus????

please help me!

I think that is a problem. I do not know how to help him. Antibiotics? I am not sure if that kills fungii but I have heard it kills things like that.

I don't know how to help either maybe q tip with alcohol I'm guessing maybe the experienced keepers here have knowledge of this

well

i have some good news and some bad news.

good news is i got two tooth picks and removed all the fungus on her back.

after that she seemed to be happy and active.

bad news is i tried to give her honey to help her fight off the fungus on her head and when she tasted the honey she vomited.

but after she vomited she took a good amount of honey.

so im gonna lower the humidity and give her some sunlight.

do the exact opposite! she needs to stay hydrated and sunlight can kill a caged mantis
nonononono

by sunlight i meant opening the blinds on my window so she could get some filtered sunlight.

she's in all screen cage.

im keeping her hydrated by giving her water from a bottle cap not by misting.

i think over misting is what lead to the fungal infection.

she vomited a lot more since i last posted.

she's doing that a lot. :(

I hear colloidal silver spray is probably the best against surface infections like that.

nonononono

by sunlight i meant opening the blinds on my window so she could get some filtered sunlight.

she's in all screen cage.

im keeping her hydrated by giving her water from a bottle cap not by misting.

i think over misting is what lead to the fungal infection.

she vomited a lot more since i last posted.

she's doing that a lot. :(
Oh, that is good! I was a little worried when I saw agent A's post and yours. Inside a deli container they easily get fried. In about ten minutes in the burning sun here they would melt I guess.

is she still alive?

mantispets.com has some collodial silver cage sanitizing spray that is safe for mantids. you can squirt a bit on the mantis if there is still hope. it will also prevent more infection in enclosures.

She's still alive and has stopped vomiting but wont take food.

there is still a tiny bit of fungus on her head and im afriad to remove it because i think i might damage her antennae or her simple eyes.

and ill try to get that spray from mantispets.com

i've ordered 90% of my mantids from them, lol

Got a pic of this? I have never heard of such a thing.

well the fungus killed her

i found her last night, dead hanging on by one foot.

the fungus was black, hard, and rough.

i picked off a huge chunk off her back when i first noticed it.

but apparently it spread to her eyes and that was it for her.

i think i overmisted her too much because she would always walk around her little screen cage with her mouth pressed up against the side drinking as i misted her.

so i put her limp little body in the freezer and buried her this morning.

i've lost four mantises in the past month due to old age and now this one due to a fungal infection.

she didnt even get to lay an ooth :(

Latest posts