Chinese Mantis in 2nd Instar suddenly acting skittish

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gryffon

Reaction score
Captive bred Chinese had been doing just fine after it's second molt, feeded well 2 nights ago. On the morning after it's last feed (Yesterday) I moved towards the tank and she was jumping around nervously as if striking out, completely random actions falling on her back, lying on her side as if crippled, lashing out and so I took a closer inspection. Only one small cricket, with 1 rear leg removed to help my mantis feed, and several fruit flies are in the tank. I decided to check her out in a sterile enclosure and she was extremely freaked out as I approached her with my finger, normally my mantis jump onto my finger immediately, and I have trouble getting the girls back in their enclosures! This one was certainly not a happy critter. Rather than stressing her out too much I used a sprig of juniper and gentle placed it too her and waited for her to climb on it in her own time, which she did fairly quickly.

I placed in isolation in situ on the juniper sprig and watch her for a time, and still she appeared to be skittish and somewhat stressed or irritated. Time for a closer look. Please remember I had seen her imerge from molting and checked her out for a good time after, to make sure she was in good condition. After molt and drying it was not long before I saw her with a juicy wingless fruit fly. So, everything was fine right? Wrong! On close inspection under the magnifying tank I found she was costantly attending herself, I thought cleaning herself.Her body was not necessarily thin and I knew she had been feeding so was not concerned of starvation and in general appearance she look like any 2nd instar chinese, but, I noticed while she was feverishly cleaning that one antenae was half its size, and one top leg section was missing, not the clasping claws but the small thin feeler section. What on earth could have done that damage, a fruit fly? Was she eating herself for some reason, maybe something irritating her?

So as I speak, I watch her now, she's standing up looking all normal and still constantly cleaning herself then suddenly lashing out her front legs at nothing, no movement, nothing. Any ideas??

The cricket was aprox a 3rd the length of the mantis, and about 1/2 bulk, maybe a little larger than others she has devoured, but I didn't think a cricket could do such damage to an active nymph twice molted and a good 2 inches in body length, could it? As for the blind suggestion, she does seem to be acting as though her sight is affected, maybe a reason for her stumbling and clumsiness, along with damaged antenae and foreleg? But she is quick reacting to movement as normal, if not over acting if you understand me.

As of now, still isolated and I've left her for some time in a seperate room without any live food or outside movements. Wondering if she will recover or will allow me to place food near her later. At least she appears to have been staying fairly still and relaxed for a few hours and on her legs! Any ideas would be great, if nothing more but for future reference.

sure I do, that may be it, she is maybe having prob seeing and everything is scaring her.
So if that's the case (she still acts up when I go near, falling around as if scared to death), how long can she go without food or water, as she doesn't seem interested in either?

she will be, just be real slow when approaching her, offer her water on a qtip under her mouth as she wont see you coming, same way with food, squish food first an she can taste the goo she will get used to this and take it .

Since she took food and acted normally after her molt, and may now be blind and mutilated, a cricket attack seems even more likely. What else could have caused it? Hardly fruit flies. One way to minimize cricket attacks is to feed them animal protein -- ground dog or cat food work fine -- together with their fruit and veg. Remember that crix are omnivores. It is really nice that you are prepared to care for this seriously disadvantaged nymph.

Latest posts