Chinese Mantis problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the instar is important, 1st and 2nd instar chinese die off easily, that one looks like someone may have munched on its side for a moment and that is why it is black. When having them hatch it is a good practice to have a good size container that will hold them for their first molt, as if it is to small then we like to move them, and that causes stress, and when u do move them to their own apartments, then u notice them dying off more than if kept together. Now keeping them together in close quarters will also cause stress, so go with a big container to start and avoid the stress on you and them

the instar is important, 1st and 2nd instar chinese die off easily, that one looks like someone may have munched on its side for a moment and that is why it is black. When having them hatch it is a good practice to have a good size container that will hold them for their first molt, as if it is to small then we like to move them, and that causes stress, and when u do move them to their own apartments, then u notice them dying off more than if kept together. Now keeping them together in close quarters will also cause stress, so go with a big container to start and avoid the stress on you and them
I did not hatch them. They were from Brian Aschenbach. I keep them seperately. Maybe one of those confounded crickets bit him?

Maybe sick crickets? One of the female Pnigomantis medioconstricta that died had those black markings and they probably died because of sick crickets.

Maybe sick crickets? One of the female Pnigomantis medioconstricta that died had those black markings and they probably died because of sick crickets.
Maybe...I've been getting crickets from Reptile room for a while though and haven't had any problems.

Maybe...I've been getting crickets from Reptile room for a while though and haven't had any problems.
My mantids did not eat well when they were young (I had to hand feed them). When they became adult they ate a little more and then died.

As far as stress I think small containers like would be more likely to cause stress than the move itself. Chinese mantises love to roam but they are fairly clumbsy on slick surfaced walls. Because they move so much they will hit the slick sides often. I know most of the board is in disagreement with me, but I really feel Chinese mantises need a set up closer to what people use for Idols, minus the extreme temps. They need room to stretch their legs.

As far as stress I think small containers like would be more likely to cause stress than the move itself. Chinese mantises love to roam but they are fairly clumbsy on slick surfaced walls. Because they move so much they will hit the slick sides often. I know most of the board is in disagreement with me, but I really feel Chinese mantises need a set up closer to what people use for Idols, minus the extreme temps. They need room to stretch their legs.
Mine were not clumbsy.

i dunno if it helps but i do keep mine in pretty large containers and communally(I currently have about 150 inside that range from 3rd to 6th instar). They are pretty jumpy and active at youth. I have them in 2 30 gallon terrariums a large critter keeper and a few 32 oz cups for the really mean guys.

I also dunno if I'd use "clumsy" to describe them either. But as someone said in another thread that "they are a head first kinda species" and i can dig that. They kinda charge into places without much thought on what is in front of them, whether it is a wall or straight drop, they can be pretty oblivious to what is around them sometimes.

i also dont think chinese need to be misted daily except near molting time. I mist mine about 3-4 times a week, and I live in a fairly dry climate in MT.

I tried to upload some pics, but apparently I used too much of my global upload quota, dunno what that means. But yeah, pics where ugly anyway. I hate my camera.

Also sorry if I just repeated what everyone else said, I thought I might have something to add to it all but I just cant remember now. anyway if i remember I will try and get back and with some more pics of the different chinese enclosures I have goin.

I also dunno if I'd use "clumsy" to describe them either. But as someone said in another thread that "they are a head first kinda species" and i can dig that. They kinda charge into places without much thought on what is in front of them, whether it is a wall or straight drop, they can be pretty oblivious to what is around them sometimes.
Hahaha I was the one who described them as a head first type of species in another thread. By clumbsy I meant specifically when trying to crawl up verticle slick surfaces. Perhaps it is too strong of a word though I meant it in a loving way to describe some of the situations they can get themselves into when they jump first and ask questions later. I should also note when describing them on plastic/glass I was comparing their movements on a slick surface with how they crawl up something with texture that they can easily grip. They are a large species and the larger they get the harder it tends to be for them to get a solid footing on slick surfaces.It was a good point bringing up the humidity. I meant to say something on that also. You have to be careful things don't get too moist for extended periods of time.

My Stagmomantis carolina were a lot more clumsy. The Chinese Mantids I had were not. It is true for all (maybe not all) mantids that when they get bigger they are not as good as they used to be at climbing slick surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol yeah i kinda had a feeling that it was you that mentioned the head first thing but I said it anyways. And i almost posted again to concede on the glass fact as i do see mine fall alot trying to catch prey from the glass sides of my tank. but like happy just said i suppose that can be true for most all species.

Latest posts