Christmas Caroling

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plex

Reaction score
Earlier this night, a few friends and I went out caroling.. we were unorganized and only had one song, 'Deck the Halls', since it was planned last-minute... but most the people whose houses we stopped at seemed to enjoy it and a lot of them actually gave us candy or something to drink or a couple dollar bills as a tip before letting us on our way, and we were very pleasantly surprised by how well the evening went and how many people in my area seemed to enjoy it despite the fact we've never seen nor heard of carolers in our area.

We decided to give a lot of the money we got to the santas who raise money for places such as the salvation army when we see them next(in total we got around 27 dollars in tips) and are hoping to make it a new Christmas tradition for our group since it went so well.

What sorts of traditions do you all have for this time of year?

I bet others will do it too next year. Years ago I would go to the service in our church to be a part of it. We would dress up in costumes like shepards or wise men as the story of Christmas was told and sung by everyone, on stage and in the pews. I always loved it!

I remember we used to use a doll for the baby Jesus but then parents played the parts of Mary and Joseph and their baby was laying in the manger! I took me afew moments to realize I was looking at a real baby!

Caroling is when people get together to sing Christmas carols going door to door. Its great fun.
Caroling is when people get together to sing Christmas carols going door to door. Its great fun.
Ok, I see :) People don't really do that here, only guys from the Salvation Army or organisations like that ^^

For me, Christmas will be a pizza, a beer and a horror movie ^^ My husband will be with his family (with no motivation at all), I'm not invited (and even if I was I prefer to stay home than with my family in law). It will be a quite evening with my cat and dogs :)

you should be invited, not right, but I know what u mean, more fun alone! I miss the caroliers. Deck the halls with..... only song u knew? what about rudoph or santa coming to town? pitiful! ah haha good to know u r giving to a good cause!

Our tradition is to write a list of people we don't like. Then, we write the corresponding address. Finally, we egg their houses and toilet paper their trees. :p

Good for you to want to be alone! I am becoming a real recluse. My dad does not understand too well but that's ok.

I bet others will do it too next year. Years ago I would go to the service in our church to be a part of it. We would dress up in costumes like shepards or wise men as the story of Christmas was told and sung by everyone, on stage and in the pews. I always loved it!

I remember we used to use a doll for the baby Jesus but then parents played the parts of Mary and Joseph and their baby was laying in the manger! I took me afew moments to realize I was looking at a real baby!
Next year we're going to coordinate our outfits better and are either going to try some form of costumes or at least matching colors! Sounds like you had fun with it. Did the presence of a real baby aas baby Jesus instead of a doll make it better or make things more difficult? :p

I miss the caroliers. Deck the halls with..... only song u knew? what about rudoph or santa coming to town? pitiful! ah haha good to know u r giving to a good cause!
Well a lot of us knew Rudolph, a lot of us knew santa is coming to town, but the entire group was torn amongst themselves when it came to which ones we knew and which we didn't... like I said, next year is going to be more organized with more than one song!

Ok, I see :) People don't really do that here, only guys from the Salvation Army or organisations like that ^^

For me, Christmas will be a pizza, a beer and a horror movie ^^ My husband will be with his family (with no motivation at all), I'm not invited (and even if I was I prefer to stay home than with my family in law). It will be a quite evening with my cat and dogs :)
Sounds like a good enough Christmas, especially taking into account that your in laws don't seem to like you.

Our tradition is to write a list of people we don't like. Then, we write the corresponding address. Finally, we egg their houses and toilet paper their trees. :p
XD Spreading the joy then, eh?

Sounds like a good enough Christmas, especially taking into account that your in laws don't seem to like you.
And I don't like them. Chrismas alone is the best option :) It's 8:45pm, I've already eaten, I'll go out with the dogs, watch a horror movie and go to bed.
Well I feel sorry for your in laws they are missing out on a great person!
Don't be, 10 years I'm with my husband, it will never change ;)
But I wish you all a wonderful Christmas Eve :)

ea7de610.jpg

The baby was always quiet and good. I mentioned this thread to my dad, who was the minister of our church, and he said the babies were always good and didn't cry. My uncle said afew did in his church. We were the best bunch I guess.

Too bad I cant be there this year. I would bring a mantis to the pageant. We are using another church this year as ours burned last year before thanksgiving. The sancurary was ok but the organ was crushed by fallen pieces of the ceiling. The offices and other parts were totally gutted. We used to hold huge Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in a large room in the basement. Other churches have let our people use thiers.

Next year I will go down. I miss the fun there. The rebuilding should be started soon.

But I wish you all a wonderful Christmas Eve :)

ea7de610.jpg
And I wish you a wonderful Christmas eve and Christmas as well! :)

The baby was always quiet and good. I mentioned this thread to my dad, who was the minister of our church, and he said the babies were always good and didn't cry. My uncle said afew did in his church. We were the best bunch I guess.

Too bad I cant be there this year. I would bring a mantis to the pageant. We are using another church this year as ours burned last year before thanksgiving. The sancurary was ok but the organ was crushed by fallen pieces of the ceiling. The offices and other parts were totally gutted. We used to hold huge Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in a large room in the basement. Other churches have let our people use thiers.

Next year I will go down. I miss the fun there. The rebuilding should be started soon.
That's good they were always good! And sorry to hear about your church burning, how did it happen? :( Hopefully rebuilding goes well!

We don't know what happened. The investigators could not find the cause. I so hope it was not arson. It happened on Sunday night before thanksgiving. 30 turkeys donated had to be tossed! The case holding the bells for the bell choir was burned badly but was just good enough to protect the bells. You can see pics nonlinear if you type Saugatuck Cong church westport, CT. They show the fire department fighting the fire and the fire itself. Nieghboring churches have been real friends in helping us continue our holiday feasts and Sunday morning services.

Back on topic, the feasts are for anyone rich or poor. I loved helping every year. That has been my family's tradition since I was little! I will go back next year and help again.

We don't know what happened. The investigators could not find the cause. I so hope it was not arson. It happened on Sunday night before thanksgiving. 30 turkeys donated had to be tossed! The case holding the bells for the bell choir was burned badly but was just good enough to protect the bells. You can see pics nonlinear if you type Saugatuck Cong church westport, CT. They show the fire department fighting the fire and the fire itself. Nieghboring churches have been real friends in helping us continue our holiday feasts and Sunday morning services.

Back on topic, the feasts are for anyone rich or poor. I loved helping every year. That has been my family's tradition since I was little! I will go back next year and help again.
Ah wow I see the pics... That's a lot of damage, I hope it wasn't arson as well.. :( That's good other churches have been helping out, and glad to hear you're doing it again next year! :)