Christmas tree ootheca... Surprise in the new year!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I have read posts about people who found oothecae in their Christmas trees and was surprised to find one in our tree after we got it home last year.

The Chinese ootheca had a hatched look to me because I could see deep into the flaps where nymphs would emerge from, but I kept it anyway. I had it just laying there in a deli cup, not even prepared for a hatch yet. :oops:

This morning I was only half awake and misting my creatures when I thought that I saw a deli cup crawling with some kind of maggotts. :yawn: I nearly freaked out about it when I realised they were nymphs emerging from the ootheca! :eek:

I had no problem with pinning the ootheca to the top of a net enclosure while the majority of the nymphs were still hanging from it. I am glad that I was able to catch it in time cause they were in a small cup with a lid that didn't fit it, just laying on top with a gap on one side. :rolleyes:

I am quite pleased at how the new year is going so far, even if I have to buy some fruit flies!

That is super cool! Good thing that tree landed somewhere someone knew what it was.

Wow, that's awesome! I would have been shocked to find a mantis ooth on a pine tree, even though we have tons of evergreens here in the Seattle area, the climate is too cold for mantids.

Latest posts