Cicada Uses?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLover

Reaction score
anybody know any uses for cicadas besides making noise and mantis food?

Do you mean like how bees have a purpose of pollinating? No, cicadas just suck sap, make some cool but loud noises...and make a great mantis snack!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually meant like something i could use them for, like i've heard some people make jewelry out of their wings

I actually meant like something i could use them for, like i've heard some people make jewelry out of their wings
How is that done? Aren't they fragile? Maybe if encased in resin, but the bug itself, I don't think, would hold up for anything.

Hey! They're great "noisemakers". LOL

How is that done? Aren't they fragile? Maybe if encased in resin, but the bug itself, I don't think, would hold up for anything.

Hey! They're great "noisemakers". LOL
yeah people use resin to make the jewelry i'm not sure exactly how it's done though...

You can grill them or fry them...
Erm, i don't think i could get used to that.... :wacko:

I try keeping them, never works out. U can pin em!
You've tried keeping them? I'd try that, if only they didn't make so much noise.... and if i ever got a pinning board and pins i might pin them :p

I just found a cicada grub. Only thing note worthy this adventure. . . Maybe in a month or two when the weather stabalizes.

I just found a cicada grub. Only thing note worthy this adventure. . . Maybe in a month or two when the weather stabalizes.
You've had more luck than me. I've only seen a live cicada once or twice in my life! The rest were dead, splattered, and/or rolled over.

I've thought about wearing the wings actually,I think that'd be awesome,you'd have to clear coat them or use acrylic though,I mainly just use them for photo props,looking forward to catching some this year for sure :)