Cicada

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
could a chinese mantis possibly take down and maybe eat a adult cicada as I found one and trying to see if my chinese female will try to grab and maybe try to eat it!

The cicada is a very tough bug. Mostly shell and plating, with very little soft stuff for the mantis to enjoy. Probably more trouble than your mantis wants to go to.

well the answer was my mantis was able to put most of it away and left just a small portion of its back end as this surprised me.The Cicada was a huge bug and she had little problem eating it even though I did not witness it!

The cicada is a very tough bug. Mostly shell and plating, with very little soft stuff for the mantis to enjoy. Probably more trouble than your mantis wants to go to.
Actually that isn't right. I see them catch them in the wild. There isn't much a large chinese can't eat. I have used them as food. They have plenty of muscle inside for their wings.

Actually that isn't right. I see them catch them in the wild. There isn't much a large chinese can't eat. I have used them as food. They have plenty of muscle inside for their wings.
Oh, I heard that the abdomen is pretty hollow. Don't quote me on that, something I heard on the forum a while back. But if Rick uses them, then obviously they're okay I guess.

Oh, I heard that the abdomen is pretty hollow. Don't quote me on that, something I heard on the forum a while back. But if Rick uses them, then obviously they're okay I guess.
You're right. It is mostly empty but the thorax is full of muscles that enable them to fly so much with all that weight. I found one this morning that was attracted to my porch light. I have a female chinese that will eat it. I will get pics.

Here you go. Chinese eating cicada. Often I would be out looking and would hear a cicada making a racket down in the weeds. Get over there and find a chinese eating it.

P9270037.jpg

P9270039.jpg

Latest posts