Class pet?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosh96

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a mantis as a "class pet" for my Biology teacher, and I thought I should ask the EXPERTS here-basically, which species of mantis would make the best "class pet"? Needless to say, I'm looking for something cheap, cool, and very easy to care for. Thanks in advance!

All of the above plus maybe ghosts (p. paradoxa). a communal tank of ghosts would be cool in a classroom. only problem is if your temps get too low you may need something like a desk lamp for heat. also it's fun to watch the more aggressive ones (hierodula, stagmomantis) stalk prey. the native mantids that you find outside are good too.

You probably want something big. Hierodula majuscula is a big stocky and agressive mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in 2nd grade my classroom in Ventura County found a Tenodera sinensis ooth and decided to keep it in a container untill it hatched. It was really fun showing up one day with a container full of little nymphs lol. We let them go into the school garden once it hatched though.

I think I'm going to go with a Sphodromantis or Hierodula. I'd like a more impressive mantis than, say, a Creobroter or something.

My recommendation would be a Sphodromantis species. A few people have mentioned Hierodula sp. and while they are equally (if not more) impressive in some cases, they are less forgiving when it comes to improper humidity. You'll know about it come moulting day. Sphodromantis are fairly large, a greatly interactive/aggressive feeding response, and they can tolerate various temperatures and fairly low humidity levels.

Just my recommendation.

I'd say Rhombodera Stalli. They're big and they molt more frequently than most species. They also have a big appetite so more students can be on feeding duty daily. Did I mention that they're super easy to raise to adult?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna go with a Sphodromantis or Rhombodera to fill up the 12x12x12" terrarium my Biology teacher already has in her classroom. Any thoughts on which one of the two I should get?

I'm gonna go with a Sphodromantis or Rhombodera to fill up the 12x12x12" terrarium my Biology teacher already has in her classroom. Any thoughts on which one of the two I should get?
Sphodromantis viridis, lineola, or sp. blue flash. Blue flash and viridis are the two of the 3 I have personally worked with/am working with and I can tell you aside from a decent size, they have a very aggressive feeding response which is substantially entertaining to observe.

I was also thinking of giving my son's teacher a mantis as a class pet. My main concern was the night time temps during the week and on the weekends when the rooms are not heated. I am in so calif but during the winter it can still get into the 50's and below and I wasn't sure if these temps would kill the mantis even if it was a hardy species like Sphrodromantis?

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks.

I was also thinking of giving my son's teacher a mantis as a class pet. My main concern was the night time temps during the week and on the weekends when the rooms are not heated. I am in so calif but during the winter it can still get into the 50's and below and I wasn't sure if these temps would kill the mantis even if it was a hardy species like Sphrodromantis?

Thanks.
creobroter seem cold tolerant

i've had so many revive after spending hours outside in a 40 degree box

but that could just be me lol

u could bring the thing home each weekend and night to keep it safe ;)

Well, I won't be getting my teacher's mantis for a while. Mantis Pets didn't come to the reptile show, which is what I was counting on. Depending on whether or not my mom lets me, I'll order one online.

Thanks.
You can get a warming pad to go in the bottom of the tank or get a light on a timer for the weekends. I keep it pretty cold in my apartment at night and my blue flash never seemed to mind.