Cleaning a tank?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
So I've read that a 'clean-up crew' of pill bugs and springtails, and some moss will help take care of soil and feeder remains etc. Is it a good idea to use both, or will the clean up crew end up eating the moss anyway?

With the exception of say, wiping off water stains and whatnot on the sides of glass, is a full on cleaning (removing all the soil, changing all the plants, etc) ever really necessary? Because I'd want to create a really nice, decorative terrarrium with flowers and moss, but it'd be pretty disappointing 5 months in to realize I gotta re-do the whole thing.

From what I learned,the springs and isopods(pill bugs) eat any material that is breaking down,and seem to eat mold too,at least mine do from time to time.Ill get mold in my dart frog vivs when I add new woods,coconut huts,etc.,and the springs and isos eat it up quick.As far as keeping them together,I think as long as there is enough food they should thrive.I don't know for sure,but Id think with a natural terrarium as long as whatever lives in it doesn't get any sickness or diseases you should be fine with minor cleanup.Eventually the soil will start to breakdown and compact itself,you will need to replace it at that time or plants will start to die off,and soil will start to smell bad.I use ABG mix for my dart frog vivs,and it lasts years before needing to be replaced.This is only my thoughts on it from my own experiences and things Ive read,somebody else might have more info to throw in.I know I do a complete cleanout of my frog vivs if Im moving different frogs into it,just in case there are any diseases present.

I have a tank with springtails, pillbugs, millipedes and roaches. It is very rare to find any food that is moldy. The cucumber and other yummys always disappear first. I have a layer of local moss and oak leaves for all my creatures in the tank to enjoy. There is also a slug in there too! I gathered a big load of oak leaves before the snow started to keep in the tanks.

I bought the pillbugs originally because I had might problems in two of my centipede tanks. The pillbugs, or rolypolies, eat mites like no tomorrow. They are valuable friends,eating mold too as you know. Now they are numbered in the zillions! I have waaaaaay too many of the springs and rolypolies. You are welcome to some of mine.

Alright cool so I'll just use everything at the same time and I won't have much cleaning to do.

and thanks for the offer Unicorn but I'll be too busy with work to be setting up a new terrarrium for a while. I'll message you if you're still overpopulated when I order my new mantids, though.

Latest posts