Clever Mantis Names

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nackerson

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am just wondering what some of your most clever mantis names have been. I have named mine Scyther, after a pokemon :p . I had also named one penelope once. I thought that flowed nicely. Penelope the praying mantis

Mantis Monarch named his spiny flower mantis Mark Wahlbergii, omg it kills me every time, haha. I named my red armed mantis Bleez, she's a character in the Green Lantern universe and she's part of the Red Lanterns, I named my Giant African Samurai, she's vicious, my dead leaf mantis is Crunchy Roll cuz he looks like a crunchy leaf, my ghost is the a Little Prince cuz he's a finicky eater, and my giant asian is Gargantua, he's a wimp.

I don't normally name my mantids (I should) but my female iris is named honeysuckle :) for some reason i really like that name for her. I also had a unicorn mantis that was named Fredrick or Fred for short, but a friend came up with that name.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat, half or more of my mantids do not get a name. The ones that do tend to get names from my wife and my niece. ;) When I use to bother with names the most clever I did was a Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) that has only one raptorial forearm his entire life from L2 to adult. Anyway I called him One-armed Bandit, and the name Bandit stuck in case it regrew which it never did (was flush with his thorax his entire life).

Mantis Monarch named his spiny flower mantis Mark Wahlbergii, omg it kills me every time, haha. I named my red armed mantis Bleez, she's a character in the Green Lantern universe and she's part of the Red Lanterns, I named my Giant African Samurai, she's vicious, my dead leaf mantis is Crunchy Roll cuz he looks like a crunchy leaf, my ghost is the a Little Prince cuz he's a finicky eater, and my giant asian is Gargantua, he's a wimp.
Hahaha Mark Wahlbergii, that is genius!! :D

Sticky got his name when I gave him honey for the first time! He got it all over himself!

Legolas was my R. Stalli, it means Prince Greenleaf. That's from Lord of The Rings.

Latest posts