Cloudy eyes: Old age or something else?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleenicole

Reaction score
My first mantis, Ridley, has had something a bit weird going on with her eyes for the last few days. They both appear a bit cloudy, and I think she may be having some difficulty seeing. She seems okay otherwise, she was able to eat tonight when I offered food to her with my feeding tongs, and the other day she laid me an infertile ooth. I have had her since September, and she matured about 2 months ago. Is the cloudiness just a sign of old age, or is it something I should be concerned about? I would post pictures, but we're currently packing everything up for a move and things are a bit hectic. I appreciate any response, this girl is very special to me and I worry about her.

I had one female mantis back in 2009 that was blind as a bat. She would only react to prey just a couple cm away from her. I never really noticed anything wrong with her eyes, though but I could have failed to notice.

It could definitely be a sign of old age but from personal experience it's a rare occurrence. She'll be fine as long as she eats

I've experienced the cloudy eyes as well and in my experience that is typically something that happens towards the end of their life cycle. Again my thinking is this is an indicator your pets nearing its final days. Sorry to say but it goes with the hobby. Best of luck let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was just that she's getting old, because it doesn't look like there's any damage to her eyes from an injury or anything. I'll keep this thread updated with how it goes. She seems to be slowing down a bit, but she still takes food when I hand feed her, so I figure that's a good sign.

My chinese mantis also has clearish green cloudy eyes. She just went through a mismolt and her two front legs are deformed. As long as I put food right up to her mouth, she will eat. However, she is only an L4-L5... I'm assuming it was due to the mismolt? 

Mantids can get cloudy eyes from light changes, old age, but they can have damaged eyesight if they try to track something through the side of their glass or plastic cage, and rub their eyes on the side of the cage. 

Latest posts