Coccoons

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueb4653

Reaction score
My silkworms have started to coccoon yaaaa

oops this should be in other sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
ok once the cats hatch into moths I will move them to a bigger container with lots of leaves and such should be able to collect easily then

so is there a particular time that they mate how do you know that they have mated without sitting and watching 24/7

sorry I dont know much about them

What I did with my moths was once they paired up, I put the pair in a small "portion cup" with a piece of paper towel covering the top before snapping on the lid. This I place upside down and let them mate for as long as they like. When I see that the male has disconnected, he gets removed. Now you're left with an egg laying machine that has a small area to lay her eggs. Once the eggs are laid (They only have one load) I will feed off the female and leave the eggs on the paper towel in the portion cup. When the eggs turn from yellow to grey/purple they get placed in the refrigerator in the container for diapause for about a month, but can stay for up to six if I am not mistaken. There is paper towel coming out past the lid and I will give a spritz of water and this will be drawn into the cup to keep them moist and from drying out. I write the egg laying date and "in fridge" date on the cups and use the "first in, first out" method. Just take out the portion cup and you have a batch to hatch in their own little "incubator". The best place to store these in the refrigerator is on the door. I keep mine in the egg compartment. :lol: You don't want to possibly freeze the if your refrigerator gets too cold.

They will stay in for about 2-3 weeks and emerge ready to go. The males go crazy around a female about to emerge. They smell her before she even gets out.

It is important not to disturb them while spinning. I think it is like 48 hours, but I wait longer, before you could move them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts