Cockroach ID needed, Periplaneta americana?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
While outside collecting specimens in the late summer/early fall I started to notice various cockroach nymphs under rocks this year (first time the last few years). Yesterday after collecting some isopods (Armadillidium sp.) I found one nymph made it in my collecting container, so I took the opportunity to take some photos before getting rid of it.

The cockroach is wingless so appears to be a nymph, and the closest photo ID I can find it appears to be the American cockroach (Periplaneta americana); however, I'm hoping someone with experience with cockroaches can confirm the ID. I am curious to see which it is, and why they are being found this year - perhaps due to a nearby neighbor moving out (and the cockroaches fled).
help2.gif

Thankfully there are zero cockroaches inside our house, but living in the city I guess they run through the yard to other homes. The only one species I've ever seen was a Oriental cockroach (Blatta orientalis) in the basement drain occasionally (as it is said they can climb through drainage pipes), but nowhere else and they promptly leave or dry out and die off. ;)

Here are the photos of the cockroach nymph, and you can see isopod frass from my collecting container.

11-27-16cockroach1.jpg

11-27-16cockroach2.jpg

11-27-16cockroach3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This really looks like P.americana to me, although I think Hisserdude would be better at confirming. :)
Thanks, perhaps he might be if he finds the topic. ;)

Either way it is not a species I can or want to keep/culture so it isn't overly important, I was just curious what I was seeing and with your opinion it confirms my worries of "rouge" cockroaches on the lookout for a new home. :)

Sorry, but the nymph is really too small to give any sort of definitive ID, I will say that it looks a little too light colored to be a Periplaneta nymph though. Kinda looks like Parcoblatta, but I could be way off. @Brunneria may know what it is.

Sorry, but the nymph is really too small to give any sort of definitive ID, I will say that it looks a little too light colored to be a Periplaneta nymph though. Kinda looks like Parcoblatta, but I could be way off. @Brunneria may know what it is.
Thanks, you appear to be correct. :)

I'm positive it's Parcoblatta. Not sure on the species though (maybe young pennsylvanica) so it'd be best if u can raise it up to adulthood 
Great to hear, and that explains a lot about where/how/why I have been seeing them in my backyard, thank you for the ID. :D Looking at the photos of the species also leaves no doubt that it is the correct species (unlike my initial post where the species ID left doubts, and why I posted this topic). ;)

I have been supplying/gathering large quantities of isopods (Armadillidium sp.) this year. So anytime I find tree bark, limbs, or anything else like that I gather them and lay them flat in the side yard (and some lumber) to make collecting the isopods easier (and in larger numbers). It seems I have also been inadvertently creating habitats for the wood cockroach (Parcoblatta), and explains why I have been finding them.

Latest posts